Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choice of Three Laptops - Recommendations Please

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'm not a fan on HP... I think there's better out there. Asus are my manufacturer of choice for mid range laptops. Should be able to find them everywhere too.

As for spec, most machines will do what you want tbh, there's really nothing special to get for your needs.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 252 ✭✭viclemronny

Thanks for the reply.

I'll have a look at some of the equivalent Asus models.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Thanks for the reply.

I'll have a look at some of the equivalent Asus models.

Asus x555la i5 5200 cpu, Full HD screen PC World currently for €495

I got one on Stephens day and am happy with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Steer well clear of PC World, shocking service all round.

For Word processing and interweb this will do the job < €300

This is a gret spec. Hybrid Solid state drive. Mechanical Hard drives are what makes laptops seems slow. Full HD screen (rare in cheaper lappies) and an i3 processor. Dont deliver to Ireland but you could parcel motel it.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭fergpie

Hi all

I've a budget of €500 for a new laptop and im looking at the below two options:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-ideapad-15-6-inch-Laptop-Notebook/dp/B015Q3BD74/ref=zg_bs_429886031_2

http://www.dell.com/ie/p/inspiron-15-5558-laptop/pd?oc=cn55821&model_id=inspiron-15-5558-laptop

Any recomedations on which would be better or any alternatives? Just looking for something for browsing the net, using MS word/excel, etc. No gaming.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Ideally 8GB of RAM, 4GB is fine most of the time but 8GB should be grand for a couple-few years.

SSD if you can find one at your price point will make the unit seem much faster.

I personally love Amazon's customer service but I wonder if they'd just refer you back to Lenovo.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭RupertsHabit

I'd go with #1 personally. Seems like a reasonable deal all round, plus you're probably not paying a retailers overheads in the price. (well not as much).

Advertisement