Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving Cork to Galway for NYE. Advice?

Options
  • 30-12-2015 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all,

Provo driver here, taking a trip to Galway for NYE tomorrow.

The missus, who is a very competent driver, will be with me in the car, and we're not smuggling anything, it's all legit, etc.

Any advice with routes? I'm dead set on avoiding the hellhole that is Buttevant at all costs, but would also like to avoid anywhere that has or will be destroyed by flooding.

And while it's massively off topic, if you've any advice for activities on New years Day, or the night's of the 31st/1st, well I sure would be grateful like.

Thanks! :)

Ben 10

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Hi all,

Provo driver here, taking a trip to Galway for NYE tomorrow.

The missus, who is a very competent driver, will be with me in the car, and we're not smuggling anything, it's all legit, etc.

Any advice with routes? I'm dead set on avoiding the hellhole that is Buttevant at all costs, but would also like to avoid anywhere that has or will be destroyed by flooding.

And while it's massively off topic, if you've any advice for activities on New years Day, or the night's of the 31st/1st, well I sure would be grateful like.

Thanks! :)

Ben 10

We drove from Cork to Tuam yesterday afternoon, rain was bad until Limerick but OK thereafter. Roads were fine except for a short detour at Lebane on the N18. Buttevant was grand, roadworks are taking a break over the holidays. Check the forecast before you leave. Due to overnight flooding, conditions may have deteriorated along the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,116 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

No storms forecast for tomorrow :) some.wintry precipitation possible though, although not too much south of galway. Just keep alert and you will be fine. Most traffic issues will have sorted themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Buttevant fine now they have removed traffic controls.

Mallow is slow but not as bad as buttevant on a normal day - several streets closed in the main town so a lot of traffic diverting onto the "bypass".

Fine from there on to limerick. Some spots beyond charleville look like the floods in the fields might make it onto the road if we get more significant rainfalls.

The limerick to galway road is definitely closed at ardrahan, maybe other locations? Dunno, limerick was my final destination.

Buttevant fine now they have removed traffic controls.

Mallow is slow but not as bad as buttevant on a normal day - several streets closed in the main town so a lot of traffic diverting onto the "bypass".

Fine from there on to limerick. Some spots beyond charleville look like the floods in the fields might make it onto the road if we get more significant rainfalls.

The limerick to galway road is definitely closed at ardrahan, maybe other locations? Dunno, limerick was my final destination.

Not Ardrahan, at Labane, and theres diversions in place, which are not said to be severe. Had several family drive down, nothing major.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Go to the Dunkettle interchange and drive to Mitchelstown on the M8, follow the R513 for its length and go towards Limerick when you reach the N24. At the Ballysimon Interchange swing a left onto the M7 westbound and continue towards Galway when it becomes the N18. There is a minor diversion at Labane but this will be well signposted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Not Ardrahan, at Labane, and theres diversions in place, which are not said to be severe. Had several family drive down, nothing major.

Gotcha. Labane not ardrahan. This is like killnaskully and the ballyboys right? Neighbouring townlands sworn to fight to the death.

Diversions may not be severe, but the road is closed as I said.

labane.jpg

Apologies for using the name of the nearest signposted village.

Jaysus.

Calm! Jaysus it was only a minor correction! I didn't rant about it! If you had said J6 of the M50 was flooded and someone corrected it and said J7, would there still be the same problem?

Bad flooding regardless, always flooding in the field, sometimes on the hard shoulder of the road but I don't recall it ever being that bad.

Advertisement