Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for outdoor boots or wellies

Options
  • 30-12-2015 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

Hi all Ive copied this over from the gardening thread, its not really a fashion question but is something I need to wear. I am looking for a pair of comfy wellies or outdoor boots for walking the dog. I need them for walking on the road as well as through fields, I normally wear runners for walking and so need something with good support. I have small feet and short fat legs...yep, Im not making this easy for you. Or do you have any other suggestions for walking through 6 inch deep puddles and boggy soggy fields, I am tired of getting wet. Any idea where I can buy something suitable, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Hi Tringle,you can buy short wellies. Standard wellie feet, but the body comes up part of the leg. I just did a quick search in Amazon for 'short wellies' and loads of options came up. Some more fashionable than others. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

A pair of hiking boots would be more comfortable, like runners, and give more support than wellies. Get them with goretex or something similar and they'll be waterproof - any outdoors type shop will have them, you might get a bit off in the sales!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Wellies are what you need alright - I wear them all the time for walking the dog. Any country town will have a shop selling a few styles or the local farmers co-op etc. Some are better than others for walking in, so try a few pairs. I look for ones with some arch support and decent grip, you can always add insoles to improve fit as well. Might not look fancy but that's hardly the point with wellies..

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

Thanks all, my first stop yesterday was the farm co-op but they didn't have anything small enough for me. The outdoor shop was closed so will try them again. I did get a pair of short wellies in Dunnes and they are Ok but juts come back from a 5k walk in them and my feet are a bit sore, I wouldn't have been able to go any further.

Will try the outdoor shop when they open or if not will go to Kildare Village or Johnston Garden Centre at the weekend.
    Thanks

I agree with the hiking boots. My feet ache after walking in wellies, so I use hiking boots with no problems, either with the aches or the mud!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

If you walk regularly through soggy fields and lanes with potholes and puddles etc., wellies are the handiest. Hiking boots are grand for the weekend foray, particularly on rough ground where you might want some more ankle support but they'll just get soaked through if you use them daily for wet ground. Why do farmers wear wellies???

Edited to add: try the farming & forestry forum here, it's pretty active and likely that someone there will know where you can get smaller sized good quality wellies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

A pair of duck boots might be a good option. I have a pair I got for cheap in tk Maxx and they're really great for what you describe. Loads of places have versions of them this year I've noticed. They're give you support as they're built for walking but at really waterproof too (the good ones, obviously!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

I have a pair of Croc Wellies and I love them, they are fleece lined so keep you warm and a very comfortable. They come up a good way up your leg too.

Thanks all, well the short wellies kept me dry but now I have blisters on my feet. I went to the outdoor shop and he didn't have hiking boots in my size and his selection of wellies weren't great. I even tried €200 Hunter wellies but they were too high for me and were cutting behind my knee. Someone in the gardening section has suggested a particular brand so off to see what they are. The outdoor shop suggested I try the local equestrian shop so will try them tomorrow and if not I am going to Kildare village on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

Best of luck, if you're walking 5k+ regularly I'd definitely be looking for something with more support than wellies. Just checked, my hiking boots are Merrill, my mam's are ecco. Both used regularly for walking dogs across fields, and more occasionally for hillwalking etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

I wear wellies everyday for walking greyhounds. They costed approx. 30 euro in an outdoor wear shop. I have them a year now and they will need to be replaced soon. I have a pair of Hunter wellies too. They look gorgeous and are beautiful to wear-however they are snug on the calves which might not suit you. Also, hunter wellies in my experience are not long lasting so I only wear them occasionally as they are very pricey. I think there is an element to breaking in wellies so wear good socks and don't give up on them. They are great! I love hiking boots but some "puddles" can be deceptive, especially in fields!

Laughing at the "deceptive puddles". I went for a walk on Tuesday and it was dry and sunny. Walked 2.5km and it started to rain, I turned around to come back and had a 10m stretch of flooded road that was 5 inches deep to go through, the first of three. We live near a river ad the roads flood quickly, 10 minutes and they can become impassable even for cars.
    Thanks all for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭fits

There are wellingtons that are designed to be good for walking in. Look up brands like aigle. Equestrian shop is also a good plan.

Thanks Fits, Aigle was recommended on the gardening section

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

I'd also suggest going to an equestrian shop and looking at the river or canyon boots they sell. They're waterproof and designed for being on your feet for long periods of time so are super comfy.

Brands like toggi and Dublin are expensive but well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭roroliam

Ted Johnstons, Monread road , naas. Not open till Monday 4th. Great selection of boots and wellies.

Thanks all, I went to the local equestrian shop and tried on a few different things including a €200 leather pair of long Dublin boots but ended up with a €60 pair of Derri Boots wellies. Neoprene lined and very comfy to wear, she said they are her most popular boot and described them as a "working" boot. Been for a 4k walk (with a husky and a 6 week old baby in a buggy), didn't go through fields but had deep puddles. So far so good, they did the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 greenwicklow

Birdsong wrote: »
    I have a pair of Croc Wellies and I love them, they are fleece lined so keep you warm and a very comfortable. They come up a good way up your leg too.

Didn't know that crocs did wellies and are these available in Dublin or ?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 greenwicklow

honeybear wrote: »
    I wear wellies everyday for walking greyhounds. They costed approx. 30 euro in an outdoor wear shop. I have them a year now and they will need to be replaced soon. I have a pair of Hunter wellies too. They look gorgeous and are beautiful to wear-however they are snug on the calves which might not suit you. Also, hunter wellies in my experience are not long lasting so I only wear them occasionally as they are very pricey. I think there is an element to breaking in wellies so wear good socks and don't give up on them. They are great! I love hiking boots but some "puddles" can be deceptive, especially in fields!

Honestly believed that hunters - given the price - would last for ages... useful to know!

Advertisement