Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gigabyte GB-BXBT-2807-250/4 Brix Ultra Compact Barebone PC @ amazon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭slegs

Great unit. I have two of the version at link below for running Kodi in living room and bedroom. I cant speak highly enough of the box. Kicks ass compared to all the underpowered Android boxes out there (I have tried lots of options including Apple TV and RPi). Its quad core compared to OP link which is dual core. Just add a 2.5"drive (SSD preferably for speed of bootup) and memory (4GB is plenty) and install Openelec Kodi as OS and you are good to go.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00MOEMZMQ

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

slegs wrote: »
    Great unit. I have two of the version at link below for running Kodi in living room and bedroom. I cant speak highly enough of the box. Kicks ass compared to all the underpowered Android boxes out there (I have tried lots of options including Apple TV and RPi). Its quad core compared to OP link which is dual core. Just add a 2.5"drive (SSD preferably for speed of bootup) and memory (4GB is plenty) and install Openelec Kodi as OS and you are good to go.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00MOEMZMQ

How loud is it at idle etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

Are these boxes any good for running windows 8 or10?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Damiencm

Perhaps a silly question.. it doesnt come with an operating system, how would I go about installing for example windows 10 on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Damiencm wrote: »
    Perhaps a silly question.. it doesnt come with an operating system, how would I go about installing for example windows 10 on this?

Bootable USB stick. Check bios is chosen to boot from usb isntall from there.

/profit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Damiencm wrote: »

Could also put Ubuntu or Chromium OS on this way.

quarryman wrote: »
    How loud is it at idle etc?

Silent with SSD...no fan. CPU is embedded with motherboard

EDIT: There is a small CPU fan tucked away but not audible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

The i3 slimline version is on CCL for around 160 GBP. mSATA only though, and not including RAM or memory.

For those needing a bit more grunt.

From a review on Amazon comparing benchmark units for some CPUs that a guy owns - the Brix 1900 looks best value for horsepower at < £100 but at £160 the i3 version as poster above says is great value

--

N2807 918 BRIX BXBT-2807 (the commonly found model)
    T7200 1174 my old HP NC6400 laptop (respectable in its day but now 7 years old)
    J1900 1885 BRIX BXBT-1900 (this model)
    i3-4020 2437 BRIX BXI3-4020U (nearly twice the price of this model)
    Q9400 3437 my tower system (quadcore system, excellent in its day but now 6 years old)
    i7-5500 3959 BRIX BXI7-5500U (real horsepower but over 4x the price of this model!)

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BrendanD

That seems to have gone up to full price.
    Thinking of building THIS
    Just wondering if there's an easy way to add a sat card ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement