Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Somewhere private to chat online

Options
  • 30-12-2015 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

This is a bit of a strange request but Im wondering can anyone think of any ideas or help me out here.

Basically i will be talking to a therapist online for a while using Skype. Its someone Ive known for a long time but they are not living in Ireland.

I want to be able to chat openly without wondering can people hear me , so my own house is kind of ruled out because the walls are quite thin and even though its probable people wouldnt hear me it would be always on my mind.

I work in the city and am lucky enough that i can choose my own hours so timewise can be any time really. But Im not confined to the city. I could always spin out to Castletroy or wherever.

I was seriously considering my car , and just using data, or wifi from my house. But it just seems a bit much and not very comfortable.

In terms of time I would imagine it might be an hour or two a week or something.

I was considering somewhere in UL or something but not sure if it'd be possible.

Also Id be willing to pay (not too much but a bit anyway)

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Go to any hotel, Strand hotel, Absolute with your laptop and just buy a coffee, wear head phones, places are very big and I`m sure they have wi fi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Try http://officeireland.ie/

They are in castletroy and their website says 10 euro an hour for some meeting rooms!

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

Go to any hotel, Strand hotel, Absolute with your laptop and just buy a coffee, wear head phones, places are very big and I`m sure they have wi fi.

I think the OP obviously doesn't want people to hear their end of the convo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

id suggest ringing a hotel, explain the situation and ask can you come to an arrangement where you use a bedroom for the calls. I think they could do you a deal as from the sound of it, the room would not need to be turned around after you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Cheers for the suggestions. some good ideas there for definite. Will probably try the last one first. Its worth a shot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

UL is possible on the open WiFi. You msy be competing with others for bandwidth. Actually it may not be too bad as students be on holidays for another month.

Get yourself out to UL where there is an open wireless network. The place is open 24 hours so pick a barmy time like 3am or something if possible. Also if you go out there on a Friday night (even Saturday night but they'll be coming back on Sunday night) then all the students will be gone home and the place is like a ghost town.

For example the canteen on the A1 section is massive and would be completely deserted late at night. You could log on to the open wireless network, sit down and sip on a coffee while you talk.

Moreover the last time I was out there there was a 24 hour post grad lab around the corner from the canteen. Of course you'd need login details to use the computers but there are ways around this (like booting off a Linux live CD on a USB drive). Adjacent to the lab is a reading room which would also probably be deserted (small room with seats, desks and one entrance so you'd know if you were alone or not).

I've attached to this post a pdf with the locations you can access the open wireless network. Looking at the UL Library's opening hours then they're only open to 5 for the rest of this week. This says to me there's no lectures or anything official for the rest of the week = loneliness in the evenings when the library is closed.

Library is open to 11 from next Monday on so everything's fully back then I'd say. If it were me I'd get myself out there this week sometime....probably late Friday. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Good advice there from Elise Unimportant Oyster above. UL should offer lots of opportunities. The A1 canteen is a bit open and draughty though. Do they still have the smoking room there? It'll be empty on Friday evening (and I'm sure it's no longer a room for smoking in any case).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭Mr.Carter

Park close to a McDonald's and use their free WiFi while in your car...the Crescent shopping centre maybe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

If there are people in the post grad room, you might not be able to have a conversation. These are quiet usually from what I remember? But you can't go wrong with the canteen. Even though you'll hear people if they are loud down the other end, it's big enough that you'll be able to find a quiet spot.
    If not, you could slip in to one of the rooms either side of the canteen in the corridors, if they're not locked that is. They may well be though.

• Advertisement

seachto7 wrote: »
    If there are people in the post grad room, you might not be able to have a conversation.

Agreed. However at an extreme time like the small hours on a night over the Christmas break there's a very good chance it would be empty. If there's even one person there then you're sunk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

There's always one or two pulling all nighters in the post grad room for some project or another!

Advertisement