Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good smoothie recipes

Options
  • 29-12-2015 5:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if anyone here has some good smoothie recipes? I have some but they all require juicing of various fruit and veg first, before putting the juice into the blender along with some other ingredients like avocado and ice.

I just want some recipes that I can throw into the NutriBullet and whizz up, no juicing required first. I also have a few dietary restrictions, the recipes can't contain nut products or nut milks (coconut milk is probably ok), no spinach, kale or beetroot either.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭thedudeinthehat

try yummly website- or youtube videos filtered by some of your favourite fruits.

If you want simple and tasty cant beat banana/mango combinations with any plant milk.

add in dates for extra sweetness! also kakao powder/carob a great addition.

This time of year frozen berries a great resource too.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 greenwicklow

veganrun wrote: »
    I was wondering if anyone here has some good smoothie recipes? I have some but they all require juicing of various fruit and veg first, before putting the juice into the blender along with some other ingredients like avocado and ice.

I just want some recipes that I can throw into the NutriBullet and whizz up, no juicing required first. I also have a few dietary restrictions, the recipes can't contain nut products or nut milks (coconut milk is probably ok), no spinach, kale or beetroot either.

Thanks!

if you google for "infographics" on making smoothie's you will find lots of useful information. if you are going in for raw greens it is better to juice them as opposed to making smoothies as it would be tougher to gulp down. smoothies is best left for the fruit.

coconut milk is the best best one could possibly have or coconut meat.

do you have a masticating juicer or a centrifugal one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

if you are going in for raw greens it is better to juice them as opposed to making smoothies as it would be tougher to gulp down. smoothies is best left for the fruit.

I disagree, a good smoothie maker like a Nutri-Ninja or Nutri-bullet will breakdown kale/spinach or other leafy greens in a smooth no bother. I use frozen spinach in smoothies with fruits and berries all the time and it's great. Using frozen spinach, berries and even banans means I don't need to add ice cubes and can just use a tiny bit of water or milk instead as my liquid.

I disagree, a good smoothie maker like a Nutri-Ninja or Nutri-bullet will breakdown kale/spinach or other leafy greens in a smooth no bother. I use frozen spinach in smoothies with fruits and berries all the time and it's great. Using frozen spinach, berries and even banans means I don't need to add ice cubes and can just use a tiny bit of water or milk instead as my liquid.

don't agree with using frozen stuff at all (if you mean placing them in the freezer) and milk products. nothing beats coconut milk or coconut meat in terms of nutritional value particularly as the original poster has dietary concerns.

a smoothie maker is not a juicer and a juicer is not a smoothie maker.

don't agree with using frozen stuff at all (if you mean placing them in the freezer) and milk products. nothing beats coconut milk or coconut meat in terms of nutritional value particularly as the original poster has dietary concerns.

a smoothie maker is not a juicer and a juicer is not a smoothie maker.

What's wrong with frozen stuff and milk products, other than your own personal preference?

I buy spinach forzen and sometimes I'll buy bananas which are reduced to clear, peel them, chop them in half, lay them in Tupperware in layers with greaseproof paper between them and bang them in the freezer.

I'd quite aware of the difference between a juicer and a smoothie maker, I prefer to keep the fibre in my food, hence using smoothies and not a juicer.

• Advertisement

What's wrong with frozen stuff and milk products, other than your own personal preference?

I buy spinach forzen and sometimes I'll buy bananas which are reduced to clear, peel them, chop them in half, lay them in Tupperware in layers with greaseproof paper between them and bang them in the freezer.

I'd quite aware of the difference between a juicer and a smoothie maker, I prefer to keep the fibre in my food, hence using smoothies and not a juicer.

We've never had frozen stuff at home, just call it old-fashioned. Everything was made fresh by Mum. We never ate in fast food restaurants. When you've had fresh all your life you know the difference between fresh and frozen. Can't say I'm doing a quarter of what she has done for my own family. As a consequence none of us ever visited the hospital for any problems. So yes it is a personal preference I'd love to be accused of.

Never liked dairy either and my instincts on dairy have been right all along.

Smoothies are great with fruit because you do get all the fibre in its raw form.

With the green leafy stuff, you are one tough person to have them in a smoothie form. Its hard for me to imagine having broccoli, kale, spinach, herbs, powders, seeds and roots in a smoothie form. I wouldn't go past 1/4 of a gulp. Hence I prefer juicing the greens and getting it all in there. Once again a preference.

Have you tried make a smoothie of carrots? It would be like eating saw dust. Pretty hard. Plus I'm certain it would break anyones blender.

What juicer do you have?

I don't have a juicer, I like to consume the whole fruit or vegetable, seeds and all, hence using a smoothie maker. I have two.
    I bought myself a Breville Blend Active which I found great even though it left some bits if you used leafy greens in it U tend to use this for protien shakes now more than anything else because it has a 600ml bottle, and was gifted a Nutri Ninja which is extremely powerful and has no problem breaking down ice, frozen fruits, leafy greens, celery, carrots, whole apples, cereals, seeds, grains, or anything else I've thrown at it. I often blend up a load of veggies in the morning, take them to work in the bottle and then pour them into a small pot in the office kitchen and heat it through to make a lovely bowl of soup for myself.

Your instincts about dairy where proved right how exactly?
    You do realise that fruit that's picked and forzen in season, like frozen berries for example, has far more nutrients and taste a lot better than "fresh" equivalents grown in green houses shipped here from Israel, Spain and Holland out of season? I'll use fresh berries in season when I can pick them myself, otherwise I'm sticking with the stuff in my freezer.

I don't have a juicer, I like to consume the whole fruit or vegetable, seeds and all, hence using a smoothie maker. I have two.
    I bought myself a Breville Blend Active which I found great even though it left some bits if you used leafy greens in it U tend to use this for protien shakes now more than anything else because it has a 600ml bottle, and was gifted a Nutri Ninja which is extremely powerful and has no problem breaking down ice, frozen fruits, leafy greens, celery, carrots, whole apples, cereals, seeds, grains, or anything else I've thrown at it. I often blend up a load of veggies in the morning, take them to work in the bottle and then pour them into a small pot in the office kitchen and heat it through to make a lovely bowl of soup for myself.

Your instincts about dairy where proved right how exactly?
    You do realise that fruit that's picked and forzen in season, like frozen berries for example, has far more nutrients and taste a lot better than "fresh" equivalents grown in green houses shipped here from Israel, Spain and Holland out of season? I'll use fresh berries in season when I can pick them myself, otherwise I'm sticking with the stuff in my freezer.

Is the Breville brand centrifugal or masticating. Both the juicer and blender here are Philips. It is the economical centrifugal one. Would love to own the masticating juicers but they are very expensive. Do they sell Omega Juicers there?

Agree with everything you throw in except cereals and frozen fruit.

It was my opinion that there are lots of communities that produce fresh fruit and then sell it off in the market?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

We've never had frozen stuff at home, just call it old-fashioned. Everything was made fresh by Mum. We never ate in fast food restaurants. When you've had fresh all your life you know the difference between fresh and frozen. Can't say I'm doing a quarter of what she has done for my own family. As a consequence none of us ever visited the hospital for any problems. So yes it is a personal preference I'd love to be accused of.

Never liked dairy either and my instincts on dairy have been right all along.

Smoothies are great with fruit because you do get all the fibre in its raw form.

With the green leafy stuff, you are one tough person to have them in a smoothie form. Its hard for me to imagine having broccoli, kale, spinach, herbs, powders, seeds and roots in a smoothie form. I wouldn't go past 1/4 of a gulp. Hence I prefer juicing the greens and getting it all in there. Once again a preference.

Have you tried make a smoothie of carrots? It would be like eating saw dust. Pretty hard. Plus I'm certain it would break anyones blender.

What juicer do you have?
    A good blender will liquidize all these things, making a juicer not needed at all. The likes of a nutribullet or a nutrininja will turn those carrots into a fine liquid.

The Breville is neither. It's not's not a juicer, it's a blender/smoothie maker, like a less powerful (300w) version of the Nutri Ninja (1000w).

• Advertisement

The Breville is neither. It's not's not a juicer, it's a blender/smoothie maker, like a less powerful (300w) version of the Nutri Ninja (1000w).

Is the Breville centrifugal or masticating? I know juicers are categorized and the best one is the masticating one. It gives pretty much an intense Irish green as opposed to what is currently at home - the centrifugal one. It is cost effective though and easy to clean. It fills up pretty quickly.

Do you have a fact sheet on the Nutri Ninja?

I can't seem to post you a link on the Philips that we have.

Advertisement