Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic CCTV system & replace phonewatch.

Options
  • 29-12-2015 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭

Hi All

As per title I'm looking to get a domestic CCTV setup & possible replacing phonewatch system for a better system.
    I was looking at something like this for CCTV but I have no idea if any good or not.
    Also is it difficult to install or would I need a professional installer.

KARE® 4CH 720p CCTV DVR System

GVEeOFN.jpg

With regard to the alarm upgrade I got no idea :o

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

What is your current alarm panel that you have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Hi All

As per title I'm looking to get a domestic CCTV setup & possible replacing phonewatch system for a better system.
    I was looking at something like this for CCTV but I have no idea if any good or not.
    Also is it difficult to install or would I need a professional installer.

KARE® 4CH 720p CCTV DVR System

With regard to the alarm upgrade I got no idea :o
    Of the CCTV systems I've seen posted, it isn't the worst, the 720p picture is reasonable quality but don't expect to be able to pick out number plates or faces at any significant distance. The subject would need to be right up in front of the camera for that. You will forever be limited to 4 cameras and that quality forever though

If I were you, I would go for a IP based system. That way you can have high megapixel cameras for locations that require them and lower ones elsewhere. This type of system is more modular and you are not limited to the number of cameras you use. And as camera products improve you can easily swap out components and move them around.

The great thing about IP is all you need really is the camera and a PC to get started and you can build your system from there. IP cameras start from about £30 on ebay for the most basic Chinese stuff, but I have found that even the cheapo stuff has great performance for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Of the CCTV systems I've seen posted, it isn't the worst, the 720p picture is reasonable quality but don't expect to be able to pick out number plates or faces at any significant distance. The subject would need to be right up in front of the camera for that. You will forever be limited to 4 cameras and that quality forever though

If I were you, I would go for a IP based system. That way you can have high megapixel cameras for locations that require them and lower ones elsewhere. This type of system is more modular and you are not limited to the number of cameras you use. And as camera products improve you can easily swap out components and move them around.

The great thing about IP is all you need really is the camera and a PC to get started and you can build your system from there. IP cameras start from about £30 on ebay for the most basic Chinese stuff, but I have found that even the cheapo stuff has great performance for the price.

Any sellers/brands you recommend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

colm_c wrote: »
    Any sellers/brands you recommend?

Hikvision make quality IP cameras at a reasonable price. I've bought ESCAMS 720p cameras for about £30 off ebay and used them along with the super mini NVR (also £30). All very basic kit and it needs a little bit of patience to configure but it provided multi camera recording and remote access, and even a smartphone app for under €100.

Advertisement