Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick Greenfinch - Trichomonosis infection

Options
  • 28-12-2015 1:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭

Looking a bit bedraggled. I'm not sure what it is...Greenfinch?

106n2ad.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

Looking a bit bedraggled. I'm not sure what it is...Greenfinch?

106n2ad.jpg
    A greenfinch with trichomonosis. Serious condition. Protozoan parasite. Affected birds show lethagy, bad feather condition. Often food particles around beak as they have difficulty swallowing. Remove all feeders immeadiately and water bowls. Clean and disinfect feeders and ground under feeders. Do not put out feeders for 2-3 weeks and even then make sure that if sick birds present remove feeders again. Disease highly contagious. Hopefully this birds dies quickly:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

OK lads/ladies thanks for that info. I have just bought new feeders and will take the actions you state with the others. He disappeared as quick as he appeared, I'm not surprised he's ill, didn't look too bright, but was quite robust trying to access the feeders. Does it affect other birds or just Greenfinches? I'll keep an eye out for other birds who may be ill too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

@savagethegoat.

Apparently the problem is not the feeders themselves- just the fact that if there is a sick bird/birds feeding at them then they will infect all other birds that come close to them.
    So it's lock down for ALL feeders(including new ones) for the time suggested.

keps wrote: »
    @savagethegoat.

Apparently the problem is not the feeders themselves- just the fact that if there is a sick bird/birds feeding at them then they will infect all other birds that come close to them.
    So it's lock down for ALL feeders(including new ones) for the time suggested.

I've done a bit of research and it's Greenfinches and Chaffinches I shall have to keep an eye on especially. Fortunately both are fairly scarce in my garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It is more prevalent in finches but can spread to other species. Disinfect all feeders and tables.

Stop feeding completely for at least 3 weeks.

• Advertisement

first thing in the morning, fortunately there is plenty of food available as it is so mild

thx openyoureyes for moving this.

crslt.jpg

forlorn Goldfinches with missing feeders :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

forlorn Goldfinches with missing feeders :-(

Maybe forlorn - but healthy all the same:)

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Hope its ok to put this in here too. I went out to check the birds today for a couple of hours. I came across a female chaffinch with a bad leg. She looked fine other than this.

23987648941_a8c8474c6d_c.jpguntitled-7681.jpg by Damien, on Flickr

What do ye think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

Hope its ok to put this in here too. I went out to check the birds today for a couple of hours. I came across a female chaffinch with a bad leg. She looked fine other than this.

23987648941_a8c8474c6d_c.jpguntitled-7681.jpg by Damien, on Flickr

What do ye think?
    Bumblefoot, Staphyloccocus aureus infection. Very Common with feral pigeon. Take in the feeders as well unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I think all this is a timely reminder that feeders, tables, and bird baths should be cleaned weekly even if no disease is obvious.The position of feeding stations should also be varied.

Not getting at anybody - just restating advice we usually post every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Damn it. Ok cheers

I think all this is a timely reminder that feeders, tables, and bird baths should be cleaned weekly even if no disease is obvious.The position of feeding stations should also be varied.

Not getting at anybody - just restating advice we usually post every year.

I'm just glad to have the advice, being a novice.

Advertisement