Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Office Wear - KPMG placement

Options
  • 29-12-2015 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi there,

I start my 6-month placement programme with KPMG next week and I'm nervous as to what I should wear (I'm a girl). I was going to wear a full suit to the first day of training as its the first day with the company however some people are saying that this is too formal?

If anyone could offer some advice that would be great as I'm not the most stylish and am worried about looking an eejit. Also, wears the best places to shop for office wear on a students budget, Next?

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Humour Me

A full suit may be a little too formal, the company know that you are a student so wont expect you to be fully suited each day.

Trousers or skirt with a smart top or shirt will be appropriate. If you want to wear the suit with a cardigan instead of the jacket on your first day, you will be fine. Dresses with a smart jacket/ blazer work really well too.

Next do really good trousers, skirts which you could use as a basis for your work clothes. Most people will then wear shirts or tops from H&M, Zara, Warehouse, Dunnes, Penneys, Oasis etc. I work in a different firm and ASOS is very popular with the other girls i work with.

I dont really see the point in spending a lot of money on clothes specifically for work, most of the tops i have i can wear with jeans at the weekend. Just make sure what you are wearing is appropriate for meeting a client - no low necklines, visible bra straps etc.

Good luck with your first day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Jsmac67

Hi there,

I start my 6-month placement programme with KPMG next week and I'm nervous as to what I should wear (I'm a girl). I was going to wear a full suit to the first day of training as its the first day with the company however some people are saying that this is too formal?

If anyone could offer some advice that would be great as I'm not the most stylish and am worried about looking an eejit. Also, wears the best places to shop for office wear on a students budget, Next?

Thank you!

I would definitely wear a suit to training/the office. The general dress policy is full business attire Monday-Thursday and business casual on Friday. This goes for everyone as far as I'm aware.

Nobody takes any real notice, however you want to get off on the right front, a poor first impression to those more senior to you is so,etching that is hard to recover. I would most definitely wear a suit unless told not to!

Hope that didn't sound extremely daunting, it's a lovely place to work and everyone there is lovely too! Good luck with your first week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

Full suit on your first day for sure, anyone who says otherwise hasn't a clue.
    You want to make a good impression, no one has ever said "look at the state of tgat person fully suited up".
    Judge things from there as you go.
    We have interns in work and they're fully suited up.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,695 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

It's KPMG not Google full suit every day bar Friday (assuming you aren't at a client then it's suit every day )

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭capefear

Agree with the posters above, suit on day one and then when you are there you can see how others are dressed. Years ago I started a new job and was told by friends who where staff members it was casual wear, I arrived on day one in casual wear and the boss pulled me on it straight away and said I had to wear a suit, it was a very bad first impression and 20 years later I still haven't forgotten about first impressions

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Definitely support the full suit plan. If you feel overdressed you can take off the suit jacket, it's easy to dress down if you're overdressed but not the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭T L

Well the KPMG website has a reasonable summary of the required dress code:

http://www.kpmgcareers.ie/gr/joining-kpmg/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

T L wrote: »
    Well the KPMG website has a reasonable summary of the required dress code:

http://www.kpmgcareers.ie/gr/joining-kpmg/

Funny the one of the kids pictured is in breach of the dress code......

Advertisement