Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV IR sensor not working

Options
  • 28-12-2015 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

My Phillips TV remote control sensor on the TV itself is not working. Is taking the TV to be repaired the only option or is there any piece of equipment I could connect through the TVs HDMI or USB ports that will allow me control the TV. The TV is old but working perfectly apart from the IR sensor and spending money on repairs is probably a waste.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

I have an Airmouse that I bought from china that changes the volume on my tv ok, though its not a philips and you dont mention if its a smart TV or not.

Also, I can control my TV from my mobile, but again the same question around model of TV..

• Registered Users Posts: 81,535 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

You sure its the sensor and not the remote?

If you have a smart phone turn on the camera and then point the remote at it, you will see the IR through the phone when you press buttons on the remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭quartz1

Its not a smart TV. It has a spare HDMI port , a spare USB port and a headphone socket. I was wondering if any if these sockets can accept any type of external IR connection
    The fault is definitely the IR unit in the TV and not the remote. I imagine it would cost as much to have the TV repaired as would almost buy a new TV. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,359 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Does your TV have a network (Ethernet) port and is it close to your internet router? If so then you could wire the TV to the router and install the Philips Remote TV app which would allow you to control the TV from your smartphone......

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/philips-myremote/id426883783?mt=8
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=philips.oneremote&hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭quartz1

No it doesn't have an Ethernet input. Would an apple TV or roku run the Phillips app if either were connected to the TV and if it did work would it only control the TV if the media players was been used itself and not work if one was using say Sky

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Moved to Video Displays

Advertisement