Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Back taxing my car

Options
  • 28-12-2015 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hello all,

I purchased my car in June from a dealership and it already had tax due on it since March. However the garage ensured me that they wrote a note saying that the transfer had occurred and I wouldn't have to back tax at all. Now several events led me to not being able to afford the tax and as such to this date it is still not taxed. I got a friend of mine to "buy" the car from me and "return" it on the 1st November. The log book is back and everything. Would I be correct in saying that I know owe 2 months back tax (2 X €45) plus whatever I want to tax it for, we'll say 3 months ( €116). I am just worried when I go into the tax office that this may cause an issue, how can I ensure that they won't ask any questions? Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Neilw

You owe arrears for November and if you go to the tax office in January arrears for December too, you'll then have to tax it for a minimum of 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,438 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If you tax t today, you pay for November plus 3/6/12 months from 1st December (ie expiring on end of Feb, may, or December 2016)

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tommyhayes1989

Neilw wrote: »
    You owe arrears for November and if you go to the tax office in January arrears for December too, you'll then have to tax it for a minimum of 3 months.

Will they ask me any questions? RE: Insurance policy start date and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

No. They won't ask you anything about insurance.

Just do it online

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭cml387

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Just do it online

Can't do it online if it's out over a month.

It's not though.

If he already owes November he is out over a month surely? That would mean the tax was due on 31st October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

cml387 wrote: »

My tax was up in September, I didn't tax it in October but did in November. I paid 1 month back tax and then for 3 months tax, all online. So you can tax a car online if its out over a month.

If he already owes November he is out over a month surely? That would mean the tax was due on 31st October.

If today were the 1st of December, he'd owe November back tax plus a minimum of 3 months going forward from 1st December.

Today is 28th December, he owes November back tax plus a minimum of 3 months starting from 1st Decmber

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭jake is right

Not true ! There is a facility to pay the "back tax".

Not true ! There is a facility to pay the "back tax".

You may be right, Jake is Right! My mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

shur transfer it back to your mate and you wont owe anything at all.... why not? everyone does and the Tax Offices tell you that you can.

Advertisement