Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can the Education Welfare officer do to me?

Options
  • 27-12-2015 8:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I haven't been in school for 2 months straight, We got a letter from my school stating that the education welfare officer has been notified of my absence. My reasons for missing school: I have severe mental health problems, (bad depression, extreme depersonalization, ADHD). As far as I know, technically, Their beef is with my parents, It says in the constitution: "Parents are obligated to ensure their child attends 3 consecutive years of post primary school". All the time I feel EXTREMELY fatigued I can hardly stay awake after sleeping for 12 hours. I really don't know what to do? By the way, I saw cahms in the past, And they are totally useless, they see me once every 2 months, And offer me some pills and the me to go. My parents are totally incompetent. They are cold and uncaring towards me, And only were concerned about the situation once they were threatened with the education welfare officer. What can I really do? Am I just snookered?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

I'm sorry to hear that you are having such a rough time. The role of the Educational Welfare Officer in a situation like yours is to support the family so that the young person can access education. If CAMHS confirm that you are medically unable to go to school the EWO might help you and your parents apply for home tuition. It sounds like you would benefit from talking to somebody. The EWO will probably be aware to projects in your area that offer support to young people in your situation. What are your hopes wishes for the future? There is help out there. I hope it works out for you.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

If someone missed 20 days for whatever reason , the school is legally obliged to report it. If there is a valid reason for missing this time, the school also reports that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 fionnmaccul

If someone missed 20 days for whatever reason , the school is legally obliged to report it. If there is a valid reason for missing this time, the school also reports that.

But can they force me to talk to them? When they turn up at my door, Can I just say, "Sorry, I legally don't have to talk to you. Bye."? Technically, I haven't done anything wrong in the eyes of the state, It's my parents they need to talk to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 fionnmaccul

bisset wrote: »
    I'm sorry to hear that you are having such a rough time. The role of the Educational Welfare Officer in a situation like yours is to support the family so that the young person can access education. If CAMHS confirm that you are medically unable to go to school the EWO might help you and your parents apply for home tuition. It sounds like you would benefit from talking to somebody. The EWO will probably be aware to projects in your area that offer support to young people in your situation. What are your hopes wishes for the future? There is help out there. I hope it works out for you.

Nah, My house is too chaotic for home tution. To be honest, I don't see I future for myself. My parents have dealt with the EWO before, And were totally non-compliant with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

Home Tuition can happen in a community centre or somewhere other than the family home if that is what is in the best interests of the young person. I think it is likely that the EWO will want to you so that he or she can understand the situation from your point of view and organise help and support for you. I really think you would benefit from talking to someone. The Headstrong Organisation may be able to put you in touch with supports in your area. They have a website www.headstrong.ie. Please believe me there is help out there and things can get better for you. Good luck

• Advertisement
Advertisement