Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 5 stuck on Google

Options
  • 27-12-2015 6:02pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭

My wife's unmodded Nexus 5 appears borked.
    She turned it on today and it went as far as a black screen with the white Google logo and no further.
    I popped it into fast boot/recovery and nothing, just a black screen with the backlight still on.
    I can turn the phone off and that's that.
    Now, I know the phone can be reflashed but there's unbacked up stuff there that my wife must keep a hold of.
    So, what to do?
    It's not got developer options switched on, either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭DopeTech

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    My wife's unmodded Nexus 5 appears borked.
    She turned it on today and it went as far as a black screen with the white Google logo and no further.
    I popped it into fast boot/recovery and nothing, just a black screen with the backlight still on.
    I can turn the phone off and that's that.
    Now, I know the phone can be reflashed but there's unbacked up stuff there that my wife must keep a hold of.
    So, what to do?
    It's not got developer options switched on, either.

What does she need that is not backed up? Would any of it be on the sdcard?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

No SD card slot on a Nexus 5.
    And she's after her contact list, which she didn't sync with Google contacts, and her SMS, not backed up either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Did some googling and the only fix that worked for someone it seems was to either reflash. Or one user said by tapping hard behind the power button brought it back to life. They didn't explain exactly what they meant by this so it's hard to know if they meant tapping the power button hard or tapping the phone behind the button in some way. Worth a try I guess.

Are her contacts saved to the sim by any chance?

If all else fails. Nexus toolkit will get it to boot but it will wipe everything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Turns out it's a hardware problem.
    We decided to go the reflash pathway only for the phone to initially accept having the bootloader unlocked, attempt reflash, being refused as not unlocked, then going back to the recovery screen with the bootloader remaing secure.
    Nexus toolkit, every thing fails.
    Brother is installing a replacement motherboard this week, hopefully have the otherwise fantastic Nexus 5 back on it's feet then.

Thanks for your help all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Did it turn out to be a power button problem by any chance?
    FrostyJim wrote: »
    Did some googling and the only fix that worked for someone it seems was to either reflash. Or one user said by tapping hard behind the power button brought it back to life. They didn't explain exactly what they meant by this so it's hard to know if they meant tapping the power button hard or tapping the phone behind the button in some way. Worth a try I guess.

Are her contacts saved to the sim by any chance?

If all else fails. Nexus toolkit will get it to boot but it will wipe everything.

think thats for a sticking power button

• Advertisement
Advertisement