Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Integration problem

Options
  • 27-12-2015 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Compute the centroid and area of the set

R={(x,y) in R^2: y ≥x^2, x>y^2}

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

Hi there.

Per the charter, we are not allowed give you solutions. You need to meet us half way.

For example, you can post what you have already and we can give you a nudge in the correct direction. For example, in the past, posters have posted pictures of their work in progress.

Why don't you begin by checking out some online resources like:

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcII/CenterOfMass.aspx

www.patrickjmt.com is excellent too. You may find the following useful:

• Registered Users Posts: 5 SByrne55

All I want to know is how to find the limits of integration for this problem. I know the algorithm for finding the centroid and area, that's the easy part.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

SByrne55 wrote: »
    All I want to know is how to find the limits of integration for this problem. I know the algorithm for finding the centroid and area, that's the easy part.

Why didn't you say that in the original post?? :confused:

If you draw the region, it's easy enough to see what you need.

The bounding curves are given by [latex]y=x^2[/latex] and [latex]y=\sqrt{x}[/latex]. You need to find where these two curves meet. To do this, let : [latex]x^2=\sqrt{x}[/latex] and solve for x. This will give you the x limits. Then sub these values into for example, [latex]y=x^2[/latex] to find the y limits.

Give it a go and let us know if you need more help. Again, draw the region to give you an idea of what you are looking for.

Advertisement