Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crucial BX200 480gb £80 amazon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,093 ✭✭✭mada999

picked it up earlier, nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

What's the deal with these SSD's? I was always not very interested as the capacity of them never seemed high enough but I just see on the link for the 480gb one, there's a 960GB drive for £209. Is that good value? I've a Dell L502x with a 750GB hard drive on it so it could be a nice upgrade especially if it speeds up the computer considerably, would it though? Are they more sturdy than regular HDDs in the event of a drop or general wear and tear or are they more likely to fail etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Toast

SSDs are the single best upgrade you can do to improve your day to day computing performance. They replace the moving parts of an old HD with super fast memory chips. Falls should do nothing to them but the speed improvement is what most people get for them as there is no physical lag of getting a head to a part of a disk and waiting for that disk to spin.

A lot of people will use a smallish SSD (250gb+) for the operating system and programs and a large capacity disk for media and the like. A 1TB SSD is probably unnecessary as long as your computer can have two hard drives in it at once (most laptops can't easily). Also check reviews for any SSD you are getting as some manufactures have been known to be dodgy in the past (no idea of the current playing field other than Samsung is considered the best).

I always prefer to just have the one HD and I play music all the time so would prefer my collection to be on the faster HD too.

I think the L502x can take 2 hd's, but I'd rather just stick to one. I had a quick google and it looks like this is recommended for the L502x: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-2-5-inch-Basic-Solid-State/dp/B00E3W16OU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1451298902&sr=8-2&keywords=Samsung+840+EVO+1TB

It's being recommended here: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2148209/ssd-dell-xps-l502x.html and I'm not sure if I need to get the SATA SSD or will any suffice. Also something about TLC not being very reliable. The price is also a good bit higher than the Sandisk 960GB one linked to above.

I see on the video of the evo there seems to be a way to transfer all files to the new SSD over USB and then you just swap HD's and it works straight away? Is this the case with all SSDs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭Sarn

I wish there'd be a few mSATA SSD deals. I already have a 1TB HDD but would like an SSD for the mSATA slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Toast

Samsung is a market leader in ssds and you'll pay extra for that alone however they are the market leader for a reason or at least were. Theyve a lot of proprietary firmware smartness that gives them a minor edge on a lot of manufacturers. I haven't looked into the Sandisk or Crucial performance recently so perhaps that's changed. Also how much a minor edge is worth in price difference to you probably depends on what your doing and how. No point filling this with out of date info as things keep on changing so just check the reviews and owners forums on anything you are buying. Especially if it is super cheap as there have been some real poor budget ssd manufacturers in the past.

The TLC Reliability was a bigger issue with smaller drives because the amount of times a particular chunk of memory can be written to is limited but the newer drives keep track of how many times things get written to and spread it all out. With a TB drive the maths comes in as the technology of the drive will hold data far longer than the drive will remain technologically relevant. The bigger issue is firmware problems and other odd defects that can show up in the budget drives (though Samsung had one too recently... They fixed it relatively quickly).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭loki7777

cormie wrote: »
    I always prefer to just have the one HD and I play music all the time so would prefer my collection to be on the faster HD too.

I think the L502x can take 2 hd's...

Just one or two if you will remove dvd drive(as i did;).

Thanks a lot for the helpful replies again folks.

I always chose western digital when getting external hard drives, their passport series was always said to be the most reliable and I was prepared to spend the extra to have that reliability. If there's only a minor difference between something for £260 and something for £197 performance wise, I'd rather than cheaper as although I'm on my laptop a lot, I wouldn't be doing anything overly demanding most of the time. That said, if going for the Samsung Evo saves me the hours upon hours of doing a reinstall of the OS and all files, then I'd much rather spend the extra to use the copy over usb and do a straight swap of drive thing.

loki7777, do you have the L502x too? Do you know are we restricted to the SATA SSD's or will any SSD work? I'd rather stick to the one drive for everything (OS/programs/personal files/media) then mess about with removing the DVD drive and with 2 HD's.

Yes I do.With hdd in dvd drive caddy you are unable to install os to ssd.
    SSD works perfect I have samsung evo 840 instead of hdd and there is no problem with OS installation etc. And yes only sata ssd works in L502x as it doesn't have msata/m.2 port - that is why if you want to add another drive you have to remove dvd drive.
    And about first part of you replay-do clean installation(as there might be and most of the time will be mess with ssd-will be slower and not working as it should) and image of your partition after that - use acronis or any other software for cloning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,506 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

walshy123 wrote: »

Very little between them according to benchmark tests. In some, the SanDisk do better while crucial do better in others. The mx200 is the flagship crucial product and supposedly a huge step up from the bx200 though most tests show the bx holding its own at the 480GB plus end of the spectrum whereas it's usually a lot cheaper. Tempted to get this myself but curious to whether they'll offer a decent SanDisk or Samsung deal in the next few days.

See http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/SanDisk-Ultra-II-480GB-vs-Crucial-MX200-500GB/3473vs3504

loki7777 wrote: »
    SSD works perfect I have samsung evo 840 instead of hdd and there is no problem with OS installation etc. And yes only sata ssd works in L502x as it doesn't have msata/m.2 port - that is why if you want to add another drive you have to remove dvd drive.
    And about first part of you replay-do clean installation(as there might be and most of the time will be mess with ssd-will be slower and not working as it should) and image of your partition after that - use acronis or any other software for cloning.

Cool thanks a lot, so probably the best option for me and my L502x is the Samsung 1TB considering I want 750gb minimum and the 1tb is even cheaper than the 750gb and that L502x owners can only use SATA SSD's. If I'm not mistaken, I won't need to remove the DVD drive to use this, right? I'll only need to remove the existing 750gb hd, and I'd only ever need to remove the DVD drive if I wanted to use 2 hd's, which isn't the case :) ?

If I go for it, what I might do is install the os on the new SSD and upgrade it to W10 as I have that install shell which I've been delaying installing as I've no problems with w7 and didn't want the hassle of going through a new OS install, but if I'm replacing the hd, I might just go straight to w10 with the new HD.

Alternatively, given the L502x is getting on, I might get a brand new one for a fraction more than what the SSD would cost and it'd be a better spec machine than the L502x, lighter etc. I love the big screen of the L502x, the illuminated keyboard and the sound off it has to be the best I've heard from a laptop and I'm not sure I'd want to upgrade if it means trading the nice sound for the usual tinny bassless laptop speakers :)

Correct, only if you want 2 hdd/sdd you will need remove dvd drive. In you situation just replace hdd with sdd.

Great, thanks a lot :) I made an edit to my post just at the same time you posted your reply with more curiosities :D

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭gn3dr

loki7777 wrote: »

Sorry for the off topic but why can't you install the os to the ssd in the dvd drive caddy? I was planning to try this, is it a general no no or jyst specific to your laptop?

Advertisement