Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Townland Valuation 1830

Options
  • 27-12-2015 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hi

Was reading a local Christmas magazine and the author had a piece
    on the townland valuation which i had never heard of & I'm researching a long time.
    From the info i've gathered its similar to griffiths but predates it by quite
    a bit. Has anyone here more information on this? Have you used it, was it useful.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

were they talking about the Tithe Applotments? http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/home.jsp

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭JR79

KildareFan wrote: »
    were they talking about the Tithe Applotments? http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/home.jsp

Not sure kildarefan maybe it is by another name, it is from around the same time

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Funny but this afternoon I've just been reading about the same Townland Valuation on Chris Paton's Discover Irish Land Records. He says that it was carried out on properties with an annual rateable value of £3, and that the field books are available at PRONI.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

The Tithe Applotment valuations were were ordered under the Tithe Act of 1823. They were undertaken by (Church of Ireland) parish special vestry committees, and generally took place between 1825 and 1827, but some were a bit later.
    When comparing the tithe applotment valuation with Griffith's valuation, remember most tithe applotters measured in acres IPM ( Irish Plantation Measure), which equalled 1.62 statute acres. Therefore a ten acre farm in tithe applotment was probably a sixteen acre farm in Griffith's V.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭JR79

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Yes, there was a townland valuation in the 1830s which predated the Griffith Valuation. The townland valuation didn't look at individuals but it does give an overview of the townland see http://bit.ly/1OtJNz6 for an explanation. I'm still trying to find out how comprehensive that survey was....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Years ago I copied a document which has a 1830 Valuation of Dublin City - lists names, addresses and also basic descriptions of buildings etc - might be part of this initial valuation. The front page mentions '..New Valuation..1830' under Act 5 Geo IV c118.

I know that some of the field and note books pre-date Griffith's Primary Valuation..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

tabbey wrote: »
    ...most tithe applotters measured in acres IPM ( Irish Plantation Measure), which equalled 1.62 statute acres....

I've also seen some which reference area as 'Imperial Acres', presumably Statute Acres

e.g. this section for Fethard, Co. Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

shanew wrote: »
    I've also seen some which reference area as 'Imperial Acres', presumably Statute Acres

e.g. this section for Fethard, Co. Wexford.

I have seen some too, but strictly speaking they were supposed to use IPM, because the tithe act of 1823, preceded the statute measure act which came into force in 1826.
    Griffith himself is reputed to have had a poor opinion of the tithe surveyors, implying that some had their own unique measurements. In general though, I think most made a reasonable job of their task, but researchers beware, treat them with caution, until you are familiar with individual surveyors style, or modus operandi. It should be remembered that Griffith included roads and water areas, but with a zero value, while tithe surveyors generally excluded them.

Advertisement