Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long-term travel photography

Options
  • 27-12-2015 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

I'll be travelling for three months in New Zealand and SE Asia. I have a Nikon D5300 and I'm having second thoughts about bringing it with me. I like to travel lightweight and having a DLSR in my backpack all the time could get annoying. If I do bring it, I'll pack a 35mm prime lens and 200mm zoom lens.

Has anyone travelled long term with a big camera? Would you do it again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I travelled for a year in Asia & Australia with a D90, a 50mm and a zoom lens. Nothing to it really. What is your reason to hesitate? Security? A bit of common sense goes a long way to ensuring you're not going to have your gear stolen or damaged. There's always a risk though. My D90 was stolen towards the end of our trip while we were out for a full moon party. We thought we'd done the sensible thing, booked a good hotel reasonably far away from the action but got incredibly unlucky as the row of rooms on our side of the hotel (just where the security cameras couldn't see) got raided. I reckon it was an inside job.

That said though, I wouldn't hesitate to bring my gear on another trip. The only real gut punch was that this was before the day of Amazon photo backup, Dropbox and SmugMug. Losing the photos was the worst part so have a plan in place to regularly backup your photos as you travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Rolllo

I've done a couple of month-long trips and the camera bag starts to feel like a bit of a burden at times. But if you travel without it, you'll find yourself saying 'I wish I had a decent camera' at least 50 times a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sheepman

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not too concerned with theft but what @Rolllo said. I like travelling lightweight and having a DLSR in my backpack all day every day could prove annoying. I've considered investing in a smaller, more compact mirrorless camera but it's hard to justify purchasing a second camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Get her insured, that is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Sheeps wrote: »
    Get her insured, that is all.

And watch the T&C's in whatever insurance you get. We had insurance to cover against theft and got back a fraction of what we were covered for in our claim. I imagine full cover for a camera in SE Asia will be pricey.

If you're looking for something lightweight instead of an SLR and don't want to break the bank, the X100 is a great little camera and you should be able to get one second hand for around €400. Just be sure to get fast SD cards, otherwise the buffer is quite slow.

• Advertisement
Advertisement