Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CD/Music Shop

• 27-12-2015 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey!

Where do you buy your CDs/music?
    Is there any good shop in Limerick except hmv? Or do I have to order online? Any hint?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

I've mostly given up buying CDs in Limerick - I now just go to Dublin (Tower Records in Dawson Street - very good range).

I sometimes find some cheap, reasonable ones in charity shops though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 GuerillaRadio

Thanks for the tip. If this is the only way... I have to check my CD-wishlist and visit Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I think movie drome on Henry Street sell cds of local bands/music if that's what your into

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

panda100 wrote: »
    I think movie drome on Henry Street sell cds of local bands/music if that's what your into

Someone told me the Wingnut has pulled out of there / the place is closing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Someone told me the Wingnut has pulled out of there / the place is closing.

Oh no say this is not true :( Moviedrome and its lovely owner Paul are a Limerick institution!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Widescreen

HMV should have stayed open in the City instead of putting all their eggs in the Crescent shopping centre basket..

I and several of my contemporaries made weekly visits to HMV when it was in the city, now I make about one visit every six weeks out to the Dooradoyle shop and the only time it really gets busy I believe is during the pre and post christmas period. I never go to the city centre anymore even though I believe you can get great coffee in there!

With the vinyl boom and many people realising that the sound quality of downloaded music isn't brilliant its a pity they didn't keep going, a larger location near O,Mahoneys would have been brilliant. There is definately still an appetite for the hard copy of the music..

Ah well.....

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Sun King

panda100 wrote: »
    Oh no say this is not true :( Moviedrome and its lovely owner Paul are a Limerick institution!

Paul seems to come up with a price for printing on the spot and it's never consistent with a) last time or b) the price on the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Widescreen wrote: »
    HMV should have stayed open in the City instead of putting all their eggs in the Crescent shopping centre basket..

I and several of my contemporaries made weekly visits to HMV when it was in the city, now I make about one visit every six weeks out to the Dooradoyle shop and the only time it really gets busy I believe is during the pre and post christmas period. I never go to the city centre anymore even though I believe you can get great coffee in there!

With the vinyl boom and many people realising that the sound quality of downloaded music isn't brilliant its a pity they didn't keep going, a larger location near O,Mahoneys would have been brilliant. There is definately still an appetite for the hard copy of the music..

Ah well.....

I used to go shopping for CDs and vinyl in empire once upon a time. Since I left Limerick 10 years ago, most of my favourite haunts have closed down, if there is no market, there's no business. I used to love going to music shops for a browse. These days I rarely shop(even in London), I just purchase my bits and bobs online. You can get any CDs or vinyl you need online. Going into HMV is nearly a redundant activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

There's a record stand in the Milk Market on Saturday mornings if that's your thing. I managed to pick up some gems there over the last while.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

roast wrote: »
    There's a record stand in the Milk Market on Saturday mornings if that's your thing. I managed to pick up some gems there over the last while.
    It's run by the former proprietor of Blackspot Records.

There used to be Empire, Blackspot, Golden Discs and HMV in the city centre. Also some CDs for sale in Savins.

Now, nothing. I general order stuff from amazon / amazon marketplace or direct from shady black metal labels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Widescreen

There's also a record fair that seems to take place on a Sunday in the Milk market about 3 or 4 times a year. Last time was early December. I think it has stall holders from the UK and other parts of Ireland.It is usually flagged in the Limerick post but Mr Google will probably have the information on this.

I've bought at least one vinyl album on each visit to it. Most of the market that day is dominated by this fair which also sells many cds and music dvd's

Well worth a look.

At least it fulfils that addiction to browsing through music and perhaps buying something I had no intention of buying before I got there!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Widescreen wrote: »
    There's also a record fair that seems to take place on a Sunday in the Milk market about 3 or 4 times a year. Last time was early December. I think it has stall holders from the UK and other parts of Ireland.It is usually flagged in the Limerick post but Mr Google will probably have the information on this.

I've bought at least one vinyl album on each visit to it. Most of the market that day is dominated by this fair which also sells many cds and music dvd's

Well worth a look.

At least it fulfils that addiction to browsing through music and perhaps buying something I had no intention of buying before I got there!
    Yeah there was one about a month ago. Tonnes of vinyl and CDs for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 leo505050

There's a place on Roches Street opposite the billboards, it's a clothes/record shop. I haven't been in there yet but I glanced in and saw a few records and player in there

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭DeWinterZero

leo505050 wrote: »
    There's a place on Roches Street opposite the billboards, it's a clothes/record shop. I haven't been in there yet but I glanced in and saw a few records and player in there

That is co-run by Doc from Blackspot/the Milk Market record stall. The clothing part is run by another Milk Market stall holder.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭godfrey

Steamboat Music are now selling music too, possibly even vinyl.

g

Advertisement