Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EVGA GTX 970 issue :(

Options
  • 27-12-2015 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,089 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I purchased this and got it a week ago. I've installed it and I'm seeing real weird issues, very slow watching youtube vids or even scrolling up and down on videos.

Loaded up GTA V and there is some freezing and sound issues (lisps, and pops) ?

Has anyone had similar issues, is the issue with the card ??

*bit worried as my old Club 3D Radeon HD 7950 royalKing card seemd better!*

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Have you done a clean driver installation of the latest nvidia drivers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Definitely seems like a driver issue.

I've used this one and it worked great.

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

There's a good program for removing display drivers. Run it. Reboot. Then download the latest driver for he 970.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,089 ✭✭✭mada999

Thanks lads, ive installed the drivers a few times.... i'll try again with that driver app

mada999 wrote: »
    Thanks lads, ive installed the drivers a few times.... i'll try again with that driver app

What drivers are you installing? Are you getting the latest ones from nVidia hat are correct for your card and OS? What does the Device Manager say?

Definitely seems like a driver issue.

I've used this one and it worked great.

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

There's a good program for removing display drivers. Run it. Reboot. Then download the latest driver for he 970.

I done that and fired up PES 2016 and it was much better.. Tried it again and it is back to it's normal stuttering :( GTA V is a total mess also :(
    5uspect wrote: »
    What drivers are you installing? Are you getting the latest ones from nVidia hat are correct for your card and OS? What does the Device Manager say?

I got the ones off the EVGA site latest ones. I checked NVidia website and there auto detect GPU too say's I have the correct one :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What are the rest of your specs?

Are the fans spinning?
    Does your power supply provide enough power for this card?
    Have you plugged in both power cables?
    Did you plug the card into the primary PCI-e 16x slot?

Hi folks, the rest of the specs are:

+ Intel Xeon E3-1231v3 Box, LGA1150

+ Thermaltake Hamburg 530W

+ 16GB-Kit G.Skill Sniper PC3-14900U CL9-10-9-28

+ Nanoxia Deep Silence DS 3 Dark Black, ohne Netztei

I've plugged in both power cables and installed it into the slot from my old GPU (Club 3D Radeon HD 7950 royalKing, 3GB GDDR5, AMD Radeon HD 7950, PCI- Express). I ran a test with the nvidia software and put the fans up to 100% and they come and and blow very loud.

I've used the driver uninstall tool to remove my old AMD driver and reinstalled nividia drivers and the ones from the EVGA website. Still all the same :(

I'm now moved my steam games to my SSD but the same issues occur

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

mada999 wrote: »
    I purchased this and got it a week ago. I've installed it and I'm seeing real weird issues, very slow watching youtube vids or even scrolling up and down on videos.
    Sounds like a possible overheating issue? I remember when a mates laptop started to really chug, and the symptoms were the same as the above.

Maybe something like MSI's Afterburner would give you an idea of the temps that your GFX card is hitting?

Thanks.. I'll check it out G..

• Advertisement

Maybe use EVGA's own tools rather than MSI's. EVGA are pretty good about warranties so best not to do anything to hinder that.

I'm back folks,

I contacted EVGA and they wanted me to stick the card in a different system. I stuck it into my old system and loaded up PES and it was flying. GPU temp was around the same in both systems.

I then checked the CPU temp on the old system in bios and it was around 30-40 degrees. I checked CPU temp in my new system and it is at 94 degrees, is this my problem? logged into my PC now it's at 58-68 degrees seems high

The chip i have in my new system is a 'Intel Xeon E3-1231v3 Box, LGA1150' but i only used the stock fan, should i get a proper one ?

I'm going to copy over my GTA V files and see if i can run it properly in the old system.

actually just copying the GTA V files over to a disk at the moment and the CPU readings are very hot..this has to be the issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yes. Those temps are far too high, the CPU cooler must not be correctly installed. You will have to remove it, clean the paste, apply more, and reinstall it correctly.

The stock cooler is a push pin design, possibly they weren't all clicked into place.

thanks I'll give it a blast...

Yes. Those temps are far too high, the CPU cooler must not be correctly installed. You will have to remove it, clean the paste, apply more, and reinstall it correctly.

The stock cooler is a push pin design, possibly they weren't all clicked into place.

aye this was the problem, the CPU cooler was not fixed on correctly.. I just clipped it back in and straight away the temp was 50/60 degrees. Fired up Pes 2016 and it was flying. Fired up GTA V and it is flying also

Thanks for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Delighted you got it sorted! Well done!

Good stuff. I hate those Intel push pins.

thanks to everyone for guiding me to the res especially TerrorFirmer, who nailed it in the end! I might go and properly sort the CPU with a better cooler now like my old machine :)

Advertisement