Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teaching English...if you're not a 'Native' speaker?

• 27-12-2015 1:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭

I realize this question probably doesn't affect the vast majority of people here, so I doubt someone will have guidance, but I'd figure I'd try anyway.

I'm living in Dublin, looking to maybe get a certification, CELT and teach English abroad...but before all other questions, the immediate concern after reading a good quantity of posted jobs is that pretty much everyone is seeking for a "Native" English speaker, and many even specifically require citizens of English speaking countries as a necessity.

Long story short - *technically* English is not my mother tongue, and I am a citizen of a non-English speaking European country....but the majority of my life I have lived, studied, and worked in English speaking countries, both my BA and MA degrees are from English speaking countries, English was my BA major with top marks, I mean everything I do in life revolves around English. And I can use it 10x better than my original mother tongue.

However, I'm starting to fear that no matter how much I explain myself, for a lot (all?) of these places, it's English-language passport or no job, end of discussion. And what is probably even the bigger problem - even if I manage to convince employers otherwise, I suspect there's a whole visa issue attached to it as well - as in it's much easier to get a visa in China and such places if you're from the list of English language countries they're specifically looking for, rather than some obscure Eastern European place most of them have probably never even heard of.

So...are my fears spot on, or is there hope?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,493 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Employers and advertisers are lazy and when they say "Native English Speaker" or "Customer Support - Norwegian", they are talking about the language and the quality of of that you speak, not the nationality.

That said, there are lots of lazy racists out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

The passport thing is definitely a requirement in South Korea.

There are countries that don't require you to be from a native English speaking country but prefer it. I think Europe would be a better bet than Asia because they have a better understanding of the fact that you don't have to be a native speaker to be a teacher.

Why do you want to get into teaching English? Is it just money or a long term career?

To be honest, those countries that prioritise image above qualifications aren't great to teach in. But it tends to be where the money is.

Advertisement