Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement knob for plane

Options
  • 26-12-2015 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking for someone to turn me a front knob for a Stanley Bailey Type No.4 plane, Type 19, '48 - '61

My wife gave me her grandfather's old plane as a present and I'm restoring it to the best of my abilities. It mostly just needs some TLC and elbow grease but the only part I can't restore is the front knob which is very badly battered and scarred.

I've tried to find a replacement online but they are either stupidly expensive, bad quality or plastic.

I don't have a lathe or know anybody with one but I'd imagine it's a straightforward enough job if somebody had one. I think it's supposed to be Rosewood, but it's certainly a very dark and hard wood.

Any help or advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 faithful chippie

Hi,

I wouldn't mind turning one for you, are you sure its rosewood not stained beech? might be hard to find rosewood but I have a few bits of beech offcuts which would do.

Could you put up a pic or two?

Cheers,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭pointer28

I'm honestly not sure, I expected Rosewood to be a long shot anyway. I would love to use bog oak but then I'd need to replace the tote to match as well.

Anyway, I'm grateful for any help and I'll take whatever I can get. I'll obviously pay you for your time as well.

I'll try to get a pic later.

http://www.hyperkitten.com/tools/stanley_bench_plane/type_study.php

the link above describes type 19 handles to be rosewood and varnished so heavily that it obscures the grain.

I have a few pieces of bog oak, they all have small cracks in them but maybe there is a piece big enough for a knob in it.

Not looking for money either don't worry!

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭pointer28

Hi FC,

You're very kind but please don't use up any good timber on my account. Whatever you have lying around is perfect and I can stain it later.

?taken-by=pointer28

The measurements are as follows:

Height: 60mm
    Widest point: 37mm
    Narrowest point: 17mm
    Base: 22mm

The base would be the most crucial as it has to sit into a recess, I don't think a mm or two either direction on the other measurements would make much difference.

What part of the world are you in as a matter of interest?

Are you sure you want to replace it? doesn't look too bad from here. Did you try sanding it already? it looks like it would sand up fine. I'd just use sanding sealer and wax for a finish.

It'd be nice to keep things original too, especially when its not all that bad. bit of sandpaper, t'will be grand!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

OP I just spotted this https://my-tools.ie/products/faithfull-front-handle-for-4-5-6-10-plane-2 while I was looking for something else. I can recommend the supplier but no idea if the knob will be up to the job.

Advertisement