Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Laptop

Options
  • 26-12-2015 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

Hey All

Am looking to get a new laptop over the next few weeks. It will be used mainly for editing / processing photo's and maybe for editing some video footage also

If you could get your ideal laptop, exactly what spec would it be, what hardware / software would be on it?

Will probably be getting two monitors also to operate from the laptop

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Mac book Pro - don't have one, but have an old iMac , and best computer ever owned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

thebaz wrote: »
    Mac book Pro - don't have one, but have an old iMac , and best computer ever owned.

If you fancy paying 50% less for the same spec laptop you'll be better off. 5th gen i3 with, say Iris graphics card, will be more than enough. If you can get an SSD then all the better. You'll be paying way more for the Apple badge. Unless you're considering higher end 3D processing this will be grand. Have similar myself and no problem processing with Lightroom / Darktable.

If money is no object then you'll benefit from a better spec processor but if just photo editing it'll be negligible. Video editing, if transcoding, will benefit from the better CPU power though

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭pwllor

Try to find some online reviews e.g. best laptop in 2015 and you'll have a list of candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

What kind of budget are you playing with? With out that information it's kind of pointless suggesting anything

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭killym

Let's face it - laptops usually dosn't have good enough screens for photo edit purposes unless u get an apple.
    Fast CPU and RAM with an SSD are the key factors that define computer speed if we say about post process images. The better components will You have - Your workflow will be more smooth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Lao Lao

toe_knee wrote: »
    What kind of budget are you playing with? With out that information it's kind of pointless suggesting anything

No fixed budget really but am willing to go up to €1K if I can get a machine that will do the job
    killym wrote: »
    Let's face it - laptops usually dosn't have good enough screens for photo edit purposes unless u get an apple.
    Fast CPU and RAM with an SSD are the key factors that define computer speed if we say about post process images. The better components will You have - Your workflow will be more smooth.

Yeah, I also plan to get two screens as well which I will hook up to the laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭dylbert

Probably a stupid question but why two monitors?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

dylbert wrote: »

In Photoshop I put the tool, layer and history panels ect on the second monitor so I can have the image I am working on full screen on the primary monitor.
    In Lightroom it allows me to put the grid of images on one monitor while viewing a single image full screen on another or put lightroom full screen on one monitor and Netflix full screen on the other :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

dylbert wrote: »

I often create a second window for an image I'm working on so I can have it zoomed at a different level to the window I'm working on. It's also on a better monitor than my iMac so it gives me a better colour representation of the image.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

It's hard to beat the full Mac package. Sure you can get some plastic HP with a faster CPU but out won't get the exceptional screen, battery life, trackpad and durability - or even the resale value - for less.

OS X has native support for RAW files without having to install some codec and since it's UNIX based its a better workhorse OS than Windows.

It does cost a lot and the newer models have RAM soldered onto the logic board which is a pain.

If you're looking for a Windows machine I've heard good things about the Dell XPS 15. Personally I cannot stand Windows anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

5uspect wrote: »
    It's hard to beat the full Mac package. Sure you can get some plastic HP with a faster CPU but out won't get the exceptional screen, battery life, trackpad and durability - or even the resale value - for less.

OS X has native support for RAW files without having to install some codec and since it's UNIX based its a better workhorse OS than Windows.

It does cost a lot and the newer models have RAM soldered onto the logic board which is a pain.

If you're looking for a Windows machine I've heard good things about the Dell XPS 15. Personally I cannot stand Windows anymore.

Mac book pros have absolutely gorgeous screens yes, but still can't justify three times the price for a similar spec'd laptop.

You can get really good monitors that look as sharp as the mac ones but a lot less in price.

They aren't three times the price to be honest. I was checking between a dell and a macbook last year and while the price difference was big, it was nothing near what you are saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Dr_Bill

A PC laptop can have an IPS screen same as the IPS (Retina) screen on a Mac.
    Mac's run on the same hardware as Windows so not much difference there.
    The Mac designs tend to look very pretty & Yosemite background pics look nice too but I can have a Yosemite background on Windows too.
    Mac has native support for RAW files, Windows you can download a free patch or it will be installed with the CD from your camera manufacturer anyway.
    Mac & PC both can run Lightroom or Photoshop so no difference there, in terms of practical application I am struggling to find a reason to justify the increased cost.
    If you want a standalone monitor the Dell UltraSharp's are hard to beat as an example or Eizo Monitors if you have deeper pockets!

Does it boil down to aesthetics?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

As long as you're aware you're paying a premium for the laptop and could get a much better specced desktop. You also will have the option to upgrade the desktop, not so much with the laptop. Laptops are essentially a dead end option.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Lao Lao wrote: »
    Yeah, I also plan to get two screens as well which I will hook up to the laptop
    If using two screens, it doesn't sound very mobile.

Does it need to be mobile? You could probably get a better spec'ed PC than a laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Effects wrote: »
    They aren't three times the price to be honest. I was checking between a dell and a macbook last year and while the price difference was big, it was nothing near what you are saying.

Yes, I did exaggerate a little :) .. but I would love to get a MacBook , the retinal screen is just gorgeous - like glowing paper !

Thing is , I don't like the MacOS ... it's possible to install windows on a Mac ?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

it's possible to install windows on a Mac ?

Yes, via Bootcamp, and you can then have both Mac OSX & Windows running on the same machine.

But that'd be like buying a Ferrari and putting Shane McGowan behind the wheel.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

If you need the monitors, why get a laptop, why not plump for a 27 inch iMac.

the_syco wrote: »
    If using two screens, it doesn't sound very mobile.

I use my macbook with a Dell Ultrasharp at home. As well as a separate keyboard and mouse.
    If you need the monitors, why get a laptop, why not plump for a 27 inch iMac.

So it's portable. I use an extra monitor with mine at home. I then use it on it's own for tethered shooting on location. I use an iMac in the studio.

I would love to get a MacBook , the retinal screen is just gorgeous - like glowing paper !

I think the Dell XPS actually has a better screen. Touch screen as well but no way I'd use that function.

• Advertisement
Advertisement