Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Max Richter's "Sleep"

Options
  • 26-12-2015 8:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

Occasional listener to classical music here. Just wondering what ye aficionados of classical think of Max Richter's recent work" Sleep" - more ambient than classical perhaps or just music for insomniacs ? I've got the "abridged" cd version but also caught the opening and closing hours of LyricFM's Christmas Night broadcast of the piece- a nice tranquil bookend to the frenetic Christmas activities. Not sure though if it should be regarded as just synthesised meanderings or a work of classic content or stature ? Does it have a place as a contemporary classical work or would purists regard it as too left field ? Views welcome. Personally I like it but just curious how others find it ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Well, i had a listen on spotify and i really didn't like it! I tend to go either extreme with Richter for some reason - Blue Notebooks is one of my all time favorite albums, and Recomplosed is stellar. Maybe this one strays into Eno territory a bit much for me. I'll have another listen just to make sure it wasn't just me having a grumpy morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

dibkins wrote: »
    Well, i had a listen on spotify and i really didn't like it! I tend to go either extreme with Richter for some reason - Blue Notebooks is one of my all time favorite albums, and Recomplosed is stellar. Maybe this one strays into Eno territory a bit much for me. I'll have another listen just to make sure it wasn't just me having a grumpy morning.

Thanks for the posting dibkins ! Must listen to the other Richter albums you mentioned there !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Does it have a place as a contemporary classical work or would purists regard it as too left field ?
    There's nothing classical in this. It's watered down minimalist crap requiring grade 2 music theory to perform. It's not remotely leftfield either, just boring.

Advertisement