Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extreme Sports Channel

Options
  • 26-12-2015 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭

The UK and Ireland version of Extreme Sports is to cease at 6am on 31st December - a bit of a surprise as the channel had been expanding, alas .01% audience peak tells its own story.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Rodeos from a few years ago isn't a ratings puller. Who could have known?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Infoanon wrote: »
    The UK and Ireland version of Extreme Sports is to cease at 6am on 31st December - a bit of a surprise as the channel had been expanding, alas .01% audience peak tells its own story.

This seems quite similar to the way music channel BLISS went off air. If I recall, BLISS had gone to the trouble of re-branding temporarily to BLISSMAS as it does in the run up to Christmas/New Year period only to be axed at relatively short notice - I say that given that if they knew in advance they probably would not have bothered updating name if they were ceasing this side of Christmas anyway. I wonder what channels will follow suit next?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭Infoanon

This seems quite similar to the way music channel BLISS went off air. If I recall, BLISS had gone to the trouble of re-branding temporarily to BLISSMAS as it does in the run up to Christmas/New Year period only to be axed at relatively short notice - I say that given that if they knew in advance they probably would not have bothered updating name if they were ceasing this side of Christmas anyway. I wonder what channels will follow suit next?

Bliss got into financial difficulties and closed without warning, Extreme is a planned closure and an exiting off the UK/Ireland market only .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I wont miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Infoanon wrote: »
    Bliss got into financial difficulties and closed without warning, Extreme is a planned closure and an exiting off the UK/Ireland market only .

OP on 25-12-2015 the following was conveyed:

"The UK and Ireland version of Extreme Sports is to cease at 6am on 31st December - a bit of a surprise as the channel had been expanding, alas .01% audience peak tells its own story."

Given that you originally indicated that the closure of Extreme Sports (UK & IRL) was a surprise as they had been expanding apparently - In light of this insight shared, it does not seem all that different to the sudden axe taken to BLISS/BLISSMAS recently. They had only just relaunched the channel name and schedule (albeit temporarily) ahead of Christmas. Whether or not financial pressure caused BLISS/BLISSMAS eventual demise, it still made no sense why it was not pulled off the air earlier.

In the case of Extreme Sports (UK & IRL), it was either a surprise or; it was not
    One of the following scenarios probably applied here:
    EITHER,
    Extreme Sports (UK & IRL) had been in expansion mode prior to closure and the decision was an unexpected surprise to all concerned.
    OR;
    Extreme Sports (UK & IRL) channel closure was inevitable and intended for quite some time.

If the channel only had a .01% audience share during peak time this channel closure was really only just a matter of time and should not have been a surprise as this was hardly running on a sustainable footing which would suggest not a financially viable model going forward. BLISS/BLISSMAS you said got into financial difficulties - not so different when you really think about it, eh?

• Advertisement
Advertisement