Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sim card won't fit in new phone

Options
  • 25-12-2015 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭

Got a new phone today. My old sim card won't fit in this new phone but the new sim card which my other half bought at the same time, does fit in.
    However, I want to keep my old number.

Is there something I can do or do I need to visit Vodafone and have them copy my old sim contacts/details onto this new smaller one?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Torricelli

Had the same problem last year. I cut it to size with a scissors, be careful not to cut the chip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Just pop into Vodafone store, they will cut it down to size or give you a new one with same number. Easier to get a new one if your phone No's etc are backed up to the cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭lassykk

Wouldn't recommend cutting it yourself! If it's not the right fit it can get stuck in the phone... Frustrating but I'd recommend waiting till tomorrow when Harvey Norman is open (assume they all have Carphone Warehouses now)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You can buy templates online to cut the SIM to the correct size but it'd be quicker to get a new SIM from Vodafone, assuming that you use Google for all your information not the SIM. Not sure how Vodafone do it but 3 just give you a new SIM that you activate online, had to get new SIMs for a couple of phones recently.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭warpdrive

Does the sim not have the shape already in it to cut/break out? My sim was a few years old yet still had that and all I'd to do was basically break it apart and it went from a normal sim to a micro sim

Looked like this but didn't have to mark out any templates or even cut it, basically just popped right out

Laser_cut_micro_SIMs_3.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

warpdrive wrote: »
    Does the sim not have the shape already in it to cut/break out? My sim was a few years old yet still had that and all I'd to do was basically break it apart and it went from a normal sim to a micro sim

Looked like this but didn't have to mark out any templates or even cut it, basically just popped right out

I'd say a lot of the SIM cards are coming with this pop-out option for the micro SIM now, but I don't think I've ever seen this option for a nano SIM. So if you need a nano then you'll probably need to get it cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Thanks for all the replies guys; I knew I could rely on you for help :)

I won't attempt to cut the card as I wouldn't have a clue what I'd be doing.
    It's frustrating as I got the phone as a present yesterday and I'm dying to mess around with it, but I'll wait til the Vodafone shop is open tomorrow and let them copy my old details onto the new smaller card.

Thanks again :)

Advertisement