Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turkey has no giblets or neck flap

Options
  • 25-12-2015 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

It's happened again. First chickens and now the Christmas turkey. The idiots who "prepare" these fowl cut off the neck flap so you have nothing to cover the stuffing, and they take away the giblets.

WTF are these people on? Don't they ever cook their own birds?

I worry that they suffer from the delusion that "the customer doesn't know what to do with them so we cut them off and throw them away".

Who tells these people to do this? How can we stop them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,764 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Bring it to the attention of your butcher, supermarket meat counter person, etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

We had an alright neck flap (stuffing mostly stayed in). No giblets, though I don't use them anyway. Plenty of spare neck though. I'd like to know is it a random neck/giblets you get, or the one that matches your bird

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

I got a turkey crown, and when I ordered it, i asked the, to keep me the giblets.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Certainly have a word with your butcher, very frustrating with the day that's in it. Far too many amateurs in a serious profession...

I was happy enough with my turkey this year, here she is chillin' in the sink

22c59ba.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Tree wrote: »
    We had an alright neck flap (stuffing mostly stayed in). No giblets, though I don't use them anyway. Plenty of spare neck though. I'd like to know is it a random neck/giblets you get, or the one that matches your bird

Depends on your turkey source. If your giblets come in a plastic pack in the bird (from the likes of Tesco/Aldi/Lidl etc) it's very probable that it doesn't match your bird. The giblets are all packed separate to the birds themselves and then a random bag of giblets are stuffed in before final packing.

The issue right now with the chicken giblets is that many processors have started selling the liver by itself for pate. That's what my butcher was saying anyway, he had to go talk to his chicken supplier as they were holding back the giblets to sell elsewhere.

• Advertisement
Advertisement