Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licence to have the radio on ?

Options
  • 24-12-2015 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Here in Ireland do you need a licence to have a radio going in a shop or restaurant ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

You need to pay IRMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,739 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes you need a radio licence.

In addition you also need to pay money to IMRO but this is more from payment to the artists point of view rather than any legal state policy...
    http://www.imro.ie/music-users/imro-tariffs/
    http://www.imro.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/HRNPD-Tariff-0715-061617090602_1.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 16,961 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

RTE always said in the t.v.license add that it covers you for 2 radio stations. What was meant by this is some of the t.v.license money might go towards the radio stations.
    You do not need a license for radio in Ireland in a shop or home. Once you pay imro they give you a license to play music in a public place.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

IMRO and PPI, both licences are needed although I believe you can do it via one payment now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Tim Reilly

L1011 wrote: »
    IMRO and PPI, both licences are needed although I believe you can do it via one payment now.

How enforced is it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Tim Reilly wrote: »
    How enforced is it ?

It is enforced by the dudes who call around representing these self serving organisations. IMRO now collect the money for PPI. EG. You are a barber shop with a radio or TV on. Give me money so you will be compliant with the public performance of music and its copyright in your 2 seater barbers shop please. Of course the radio stations are already paying this anyway!!!!

Advertisement