Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creating a .ie website

Options
  • 23-12-2015 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭

So I want to create a website for my photography portfolio. I'd like to use either Squarespace or Smugmug as I really like their templates. Has anyone used either of those and is the .ie option available as a domain name? I used wix before it wasn't listed in the options and I ended up having to use a .org.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

So I want to create a website for my photography portfolio. I'd like to use either Squarespace or Smugmug as I really like their templates. Has anyone used either of those and is the .ie option available as a domain name? I used wix before it wasn't listed in the options and I ended up having to use a .org.

not sure if you know but anyway :

there's loads of new tlds , like .photo , .photos , .photography

talk to someone before you go registering one though

https://iwantmyname.com/domains/dot-photography

https://iwantmyname.com/domains/new-gtld-domain-extensions#show-live

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭killym

To achieve that You need to redirect dns servers- this option is available after buying domain in separate panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I tried GoDaddy but any name I type in it just says its not available for registration. Basically I want www.myname.ie I don't want mynamephotography because its too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I tried GoDaddy but any name I type in it just says its not available for registration. Basically I want www.myname.ie I don't want mynamephotography because its too long.

The don't sell .ie

• Advertisement

he mean "yourname.photo but those domain names are like 50e/year not like .ie 15e (around)

Besides if domain name is already registered You can't get it unless You contact the owner and convince him to"give" it to you:)

Here's the list of accredited registrars for .ie domain names:

https://www.iedr.ie/register-a-domain/accredited-registrar-list/

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭ditpaintball

.ie domains are restricted. blacknight.com can sell you one, with hosting. Once you purchase it, you then had to provide all the necessary documentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭RupertsHabit

or you could try letshost.ie

ive used them and they're alright.

registering a .ie however means faxing in paperwork.

a .com site will only take you minutes.

remember you have to pay for your domain name + hosting if you want to put anything up online.

hostgator are quite good and quick for the whole package. and they have 24/7 online support.

• Advertisement

Registering a .ie MAY mean sending in some documentation, not usually by fax and the requirements are nothing at all demanding.

If you're targeting an Irish customer base a .ie domain is a good idea. An Irish/Ireland based host wouldn't hurt either but I won't make any specific recommendations because of the site-wide ban on discussing hosting companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I got myself a .ie domain. I just had to email them photo I.D. I'm having a bit of trouble connecting it to my Squarespace site at the moment. It's a bit of a rigmarole changing the DNS settings. Hopefully I'll get it sorted soon.

Excellent, feel free to drop me a PM if you get stuck and I'll try and nudge you in the right direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I worked in shared hosting and domains so if you have any questions just fire them up.

Square space will either provide name servers or, most likely, A records (maybe a CNAME) which can be updated wherever you registered the .ie.

Just update the A records that are in place to the ones that squarespace provide.

Make sure to add an A record for the root and for the www

Give it 24hrs, normally much sooner, and once the records have propagated your site, or whatever is in place on the server you've pointed the domain name to, will display.

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Square space will either provide name servers or, most likely, A records (maybe a CNAME) which can be updated wherever you registered the .ie.

It's CNAME records:

https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/205812378-Connecting-a-domain-to-your-Squarespace-site

Looks like 4 A records, a CNAME for the www and a verification CNAME.

Anyway, once you do one you'll be flying.

Where I worked if you screenshot the records and email them in we'd put them in place for you so if you can't figure it out there shouldn't be an issue, depending on who you registered the .ie with.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭RupertsHabit

just reminded me of whois protection.

make sure to get whois protection if you dont want your name associated with the site for the public to see OP.

as for paperwork - whats the official line on minimum requirements for a .ie site.

guy i worked with had to fax stuff.

You definitely don't have to fax anymore, email is fine but it must be a .doc, .JPEG, .PNG, etc they won't accept it in the body of an email.

You can email directly to registrations@iedr.ie or to your registrar.

Also you can't get Who Is protection for a .ie but your email won't be public anyway only your name and company if registered under a company name.

Advertisement