Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Links Golf this Winter (use of mats)

Options
  • 22-12-2015 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭

It's a question that's been asked on here before so here's a link to an article I wrote for Irish Golfer Magazine, on winter links golf and which courses use mats (off the fairway). Eight page article starts on page 76.

Not every club is included (no Ballybunion as its not open to visitors), but it's pretty comprehensive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,774 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Nice article.

I play Links golf, I play winter golf.

I have no interest or intent of ever playing golf on mats , If I want to play off mats , I'll go to a range.

This winter has been very strange , ok has been windy and wet, but hasn't been a hint of ground frost.

So for the sake of 8 weeks - I will play on a course with no mats.

If you can't play almost full golf on a Links course in Winter, it misses one of the main advantages of Links golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

Nice article.

I play Links golf, I play winter golf.

I have no interest or intent of ever playing golf on mats , If I want to play off mats , I'll go to a range.

This winter has been very strange , ok has been windy and wet, but hasn't been a hint of ground frost.

So for the sake of 8 weeks - I will play on a course with no mats.

If you can't play almost full golf on a Links course in Winter, it misses one of the main advantages of Links golf.

So Fix, I take it you're not going to play off mates then

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

Very comprehensive article, well done Kevin.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

I saw a study where they said that the use of mats on the fairway over the winter meant the fairways got to peak condition three weeks faster then if mats weren't used.

It doesn't seem like a great trade off to me. 3 months using a mat to just gain three weeks on fairway condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ally McIntosh

I saw a study where they said that the use of mats on the fairway over the winter meant the fairways got to peak condition three weeks faster then if mats weren't used.

It doesn't seem like a great trade off to me. 3 months using a mat to just gain three weeks on fairway condition.

From a playing perspective, I personally prefer the drop in the semi-rough because that actually accentuates the strategic values of each hole. Makes for a thoughtful day.

From a maintenance point of view, this isn't ideal because it sees concentrated wear in similar areas.

However, I think that mats all winter is generally being far too safe. The main problem is when the sub-soil is frozen. All fairways should still be open at the moment given the warm climate. And the best methodology I've seen is closing just a few fairways at a time (with placing to the side), again reducing overall wear / divots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Good article Kevin, thought we were going to get the definitive list of links courses in Ireland. Thought I might tick another couple off over the winter but weather has been too bad.
    Really slowed down on the list this year jus ballyb and tralee ticked off.
    Problem is I've gone back to the great courses rather than try a few new ones.
    Already booked the acc for next year and 90% about doing the scratch cups in ballyb and tralee plus the great north links.
    Would be great if there was another 3 day comp somewhere I haven't played.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

surely one of the major benefits of links golf is excellent winter conditions/drainage.

i'd be pretty pissed off paying a hefty annual sub only to be forced to hit off mats when the fairway is in perfect condition.

to me it seems like some clubs are way too precious about these things.

Advertisement