Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

training

Options
  • 22-12-2015 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi

I have an opportunity to build standard covers for radiators and stock the in 4 shops.

I have basic woodworking in knowledge to do this, but would be happier to be trained up by a skilled carpenter. Teach me how to do it properly and advise me on what tools etc.

Is there a place I can go to, to be trained or a person willing to train me up.

I am willing to pay for this

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Well.....
    What access to power tools or machines do you have , and what is the brief on types and numbers
    of units you are expected to produce , per week, per month ect,.

Getting the opportunity, and being able to deliver really depends on whether you are going to attempt small or large batches. Experience of both avenues are related , but slightly different.

An experienced chippy may well be able to offer you the necessary foundation skills for the product, but may not neccessarily have the experience, for larger batch runs. Experienced workshop joiner/cabinetmaker
    would tick both boxes.

And having experience in both myself, along with a lot of chaps on the woodcraft forum, one thing I can tell you is.........
    I,m surprised that 4 outlets are giving an opportunity like this, to an inexperienced person like yourself.
    When there are so many manufacturing outlets out there that could flog these out for a pittance.
    Apart from the fact that they are already available in every diy store in the country.

This forum will give you a good education in the best approach for this product. As products go, it wont get any simpler for the level of experience here.

So given all this, I dont think you,ll have to pay for guidance, so give us the brief.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,311 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Am with Kadman here: am amazeballs to read the potential opportunity.

Goodluck OP

In passing the most common wood used for these is MDF so you had better address the dust issues from working with MDF pronto.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

If you have the chance of getting this contract. With out the proper tools and experience your only making life very hard for yourself.
    Getting the work is one thing doing it to a required standard and finish is another kettle of fish altogether.
    Why not get the spec and sub it out to a joinery shop or a competent carpenter they would have it made, sprayed and invoiced out before a person with a limited skill set would even set it out.
    Then put your " management " fee on top and supply and fit. Far less of a headache.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Have you given them prices? I can't see how you could be given this contract without a price and not being able to make it means you wouldn't know where to start pricing. There's a lot more work in making them than people think and the fact you won't be able to make them as cheap as woodies or b and q means your going to have to make them a lot better to justify the price. Are you making standard sizes or making to order? Do you have to go out and measure.i be done a lot of these and They are grand to fill quiet days but you won't make much on them.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Good advice there guys and gals.

I think we have all been offered, what appeared to be brilliant opportunities,
    but once the in depth homework is done.................its not as rosey as it appears.

But theres no harm in pointing the way, if we had the design brief posted??

Happy new year to all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement