Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 realms question.

• 22-12-2015 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I am currently not someone who would identify as a Buddhist. However, my learning, understanding, and awareness tend to lead me in the same direction as many of the Buddhist teachings for about the last 10 years. There's much truth in the teachings i find.

Recently i decided to simply study Buddhism.

Whilst reading about the 6 realms. I believe i understand what is being said, however there is a part I have learned differently.
    The realms are fascinating to learn about, I've learnt about them in different ways in my life which perhaps is why I have arrived at similar answers yet different perspective.

The material I find on the realms seems to indicate a 'separation' between the realms. As if a person is born into one, or conditioned into one of them etc.
    From learning about the realms, my own experience has taught me that I am in all of these realms. To various levels of course. I've been leaving these realms as I grow.. but i found it surprising that it seems the teachings indicate a "or" rather than a context of "and".

The hell realm for instance. I've spent time there, I've carried that realm in me. In my younger years I lived more there than others.
    The hungry ghost realm. That realm I am leaving yet only because I'm clearly still in it. The constant cycle of desires. Mine was money and security, recognition for my 'unappreciated greatness' lol.
    Then there's no way I could not confess my less intense but consistent home in the asura realm!

I've met narcissists and understand them because i learnt o understand that side of myself. I've repeated that process within myself with anything i encounter.

The realms certainly correlate to personality types i've witnessed. There can be a major over influencing realm in people. It just seems more likely we exist in all of them to me. I guess its just meant as guidance rather than a catch all type. The mind! how it loves its black and white! :)

Would anyone be open to discussing this difference in perspective?
    I'd like to hear other peoples opinions on their perspective on the topic.

Thank you.

Ray

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭manonboard

It was just occurring to me there that the non human realms seem to have a correlation with the cycles creating through all that ego driven motives. When one tries to alter things based on fears (fear of loss of desires, ego identity, etc).

I follow many teachings from Vernon Howard, who helps teach me to let go my identity. It's helped me leave this realms into a more present presence type of living without reacting to the silly mind games my head constructs.

That state seems to be more in-line with the human realm.

I wonder if the meaning of 'previous life' etc is just a way of expressing: when doing things not of the now, but of a past narrative.
    eg: You did this to me, so now i'll do this to you. Or
    eg: I want my future life to look like this, it must! I fear it not, so i'll try force that (future life). Or
    eg: In the past, this happened, I wont go back to that (some pain), it makes me scared, I identified with the past, so now i act like that is me (past life).

The human realm could represent dropping all those narratives, just being now, failing and learning. Eventually allowing that enlightenment process.

Advertisement