Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV3 Evicted at Christmas

Options
  • 21-12-2015 11:52pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone watching this? I'm struggling to have empathy for some of the people here, who after seven years of mortgage difficulties, are insisting they have a right to stay in their homes, when they have court orders sanctioning repossession?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

It's a horrible situation to be in and they have my sympathy. Their goal should be to be able to walk away from their homes debt free, all have been living in them paying an awful lot less than what they would be paying if renting.
    Hoping to keep the house for little or nothing is dreaming and not right to be honest.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

It's a horrible situation to be in and they have my sympathy. Their goal should be to be able to walk away from their homes debt free, all have been living in them paying an awful lot less than what they would be paying if renting.
    Hoping to keep the house for little or nothing is dreaming and not right to be honest.

That sums up exactly what I meant thank you.

There seemed to be an expectation that it was their home, and they should keep it regardless, but if you can't pay for it and have seven years of arrears, surely moving on is a better option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

Stheno wrote: »
    That sums up exactly what I meant thank you.

There seemed to be an expectation that it was their home, and they should keep it regardless, but if you can't pay for it and have seven years of arrears, surely moving on is a better option?

Absolutely agreed. And I have family who were in that situation, and had a long drawn out horrible process but ultimately were able to walk away.
    The goal should be to shorten that process and minimize distress.

These organisations (I'm looking at the hub who appear frequently in the Freeman thread in the legal discussion forum) who advise that you can stay in your home and not to pay are only prolonging the agony.

They're a bunch of vainglorious **** in my opinion.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Absolutely agreed. And I have family who were in that situation, and had a long drawn out horrible process but ultimately were able to walk away.
    The goal should be to shorten that process and minimize distress.

These organisations (I'm looking at the hub who appear frequently in the Freeman thread in the legal discussion forum) who advise that you can stay in your home and not to pay are only prolonging the agony.

They're a bunch of vainglorious **** in my opinion.

I thought the same tbh

I also found it very strange that the banks being bailed out so our economy kept functioning was constantly referenced.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Taxi Drivers

It was not clear what any of them were paying, if anything at all. On no occasion was it said "I'm paying XXX per month and the bank are looking for YYY." Neither case study was particularly convincing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Teaandcoffee

I don't know if I misheard but did one of the mortgage holders say she was afraid to tell her children in case they would not speak to her? I might have picked that up wrong but if I didn't that is truly shocking.

Advertisement