Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you set up a network without internet access or a router?

Options
  • 21-12-2015 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

Hiya, this might be an obvious question but I'm familiar with analogue cctv and trying to get my head around networked IP systems.

Is the networked system, i.e. the cameras and the NVR, a totally self-contained network which works independently of any other equipment in the premises?

And can it be used without a typical router or internet access (obviously without the ability to view remotely)?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

summereire wrote: »
    Hiya, this might be an obvious question but I'm familiar with analogue cctv and trying to get my head around networked IP systems.

Is the networked system, i.e. the cameras and the NVR, a totally self-contained network which works independently of any other equipment in the premises?

And can it be used without a typical router or internet access (obviously without the ability to view remotely)?

Thanks!

Yes, you can connect everything onto its own network if you wish without internet access. You will need a router to assign IP addresses to all devices in the network. Without internet access, you will not be able to view the cameras on your phone etc when you are not connected to this network. If you have a network already in place, I would hook into that network.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭summereire

Thanks. Basically just have a regular Eircom router but I had heard that NVR systems can use up bandwidth and I want the wifi to be clear and strong and the CCTV system to do its own thing. Is it better to have it on its own router separate from the internet one?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

Unless you're talking lots of cameras, there won't be a problem. Also, unless your cameras are connecting via wifi, they shouldn't impact wifi performance.

Thanks. Basically just have a regular Eircom router but I had heard that NVR systems can use up bandwidth and I want the wifi to be clear and strong and the CCTV system to do its own thing. Is it better to have it on its own router separate from the internet one?

Use CAT 6 cable to connect your cameras and NVR back to the router if you are worried as this will give you the fastest network between the cameras and NVR. The router will probably be your weak link but you can always upgrade this and see how you get on. You could easily buy a better router and use the eircom router in bridge mode with your new gigabit router.

Also you can get POE IP cameras that allow you to power and network the cameras with one Cable. This is very handy but you need a POE switch then.

Lovely, thanks. With the POE IP cameras does that mean you won't need the router (other than for remote viewing)? I'm thinking about 16 cameras as it's a large site with many angles. Is CAT 6 the best cable to use? What kind of money would that be for a 1000' role or whatever it comes in? I'm comfortable with wiring and electrics but know little about networking.

• Advertisement

Lovely, thanks. With the POE IP cameras does that mean you won't need the router (other than for remote viewing)? I'm thinking about 16 cameras as it's a large site with many angles. Is CAT 6 the best cable to use? What kind of money would that be for a 1000' role or whatever it comes in? I'm comfortable with wiring and electrics but know little about networking.

for 16 cameras you will still need a router(provided you are not using the eircom one) and a POE switch(es) to push the power through the cat 6a(best but google it as you may get away with cheaper 5a) cable to the camera. You will need to see how many cameras a switch will take when you are buying it. For 16 poe ports you will be looking at a decent switch,with the switch networked back to your router (eircom router or a new router). If you purchase one POE switch, then one cable from your router to the switch (say in your attic), and 16 cables runs to the cameras.

So the network will be router -> POE switch(es) -> IP Cameras.

Brilliant, that's very helpful. And the second router, if I'm not using the eircom one, isn't connected to the internet necessary bit presumably can in some way be linked to the eircom router so that (a) no eircom router bandwidth is being used in the network's day to day operations but (b) remote viewing is possible?

Brilliant, that's very helpful. And the second router, if I'm not using the eircom one, isn't connected to the internet necessary bit presumably can in some way be linked to the eircom router so that (a) no eircom router bandwidth is being used in the network's day to day operations but (b) remote viewing is possible?

Yes you can leave the network separate but if you do wish to access the footage remotely, you need to connect the camera's router back to the eircom one - basically you would set the camera route as an access point linked back to the eircom one. All ip cameras would get their ip from the eircom router

If you intend to do this down the road, set static ips on the camera and use the same router range on your new router as the eircom one. This means if you do this, all you need to do is change the camera's router settings to an access point an everything should work or link the switch directly to the eircom router

When you are buying a new router check that you can set the route as an access point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

We always use 2 network points in the NVR, one to the router, one to the POE switch then cameras. Each card is on a different IP network (10.0.1.x / 192.168.0.x), and with no routing between cards it is about as secure as you can get.

This is the most secure arrangement as there is no possible access direct to the cameras from any remote connection, and camera vulnerabilities are the most common attack route. In addition no camera traffic touches your network (except when watching your NVR.

SB

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

Hi,

Firstly,there is no requirements for a CAT6 role.Price will be very expensive.Based on your site/office,you may be better with STP CAT5e (shielded cable) that protects your data cable from electrical noises.If the location is at home,then the more cost / performance effective UTP CAT5e cable will do the job. Also,keep in mind that while a roll of 300M of cable may be ok for you,the maximum practical cable length is somewhere at 80m per run.A good quality 300m CAT5e should costs you less than €100 inc VAT.

PoE is a game on its own.Check the cameras first for what type of PoE system uses and buy a switch that has the running voltage and Watts-power to keep it running.

A router is to give you access to another physical and logical separated network location.Without an internet connection,you could use any router on the market,only minimum tech spec is to have full LAN / WAN ports at 1000M or 1Gb minimum speed.

To see CCTV over internet,based on your CCTV cameras/system build adn quality,a typical 50M download /10M upload broadband conenction may be ok on your little phone screen.Also,it requires configuration to allow ports opened in the firewall OR a single one used by the CCTV application.

To use Eircom router adn then a second router for the CCTv just adds an additional layer of configuration and IP routing / NAT configuration for external access.Is a better step in additional security for internal access,keeping CCTV away from privately accesed internal network.

Have fun...

• Advertisement
Advertisement