Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On the shortest day there is a fly in my kitchen - go away!

Options
  • 21-12-2015 6:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭

Christ, its not like I'm a fan of cold weather but I'd actually take a week of crisp cold to dry the place out and kill the flies! The little sh!t is not much bigger than a punctuation mark but its mere existence is offending me.

Anyone else wish this mucky mild wave would end?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Agreed. Saw a wasp in kerry 4 days ago, and last night a bloody loud bluebottle woke me up. Cold snap please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

still flies about here too, and as I was down at the recycling last week a very large wasp appeared in the car on the way home... probably woke from hibernation with the heat

• Registered Users Posts: 12,667 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

After a hair raising experience of my car getting into a dangerous slide in the snow a few years ago, I am more than happy with the mild weather. Sorry about the flooding though.....although thankfully I was spared. My gas bill won't be a whopper this month either

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

The snowdrops have already popped up in my garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,607 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

And do you think I could find a fly-swatter?
    No, I could not.
    In spite of having at least half-a-dozen of them this last summer.
    Harrumph! etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Get one of those electronic fly swatters.

We had a biblical style blue-bottle plague at the end of the summer and those gadgets work a treat.

Be warned though,fried blue-bottle fcukin stinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Son, if you really want something in this life, you have to work for it. Now quiet! They're about to announce the lottery numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭bennyineire

I was in a pub in the arsewhole of Offaly on Saturday and there was a butterfly flying around the pub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

I went out the back earlier just to get something out of the shed and as I was walking back in, I got sun stroke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Love all these weather reports!

Clear and chilly here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Why do people say today is the shortest day of the year? It has 24 hours just like the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Flies hate fire...only one thing for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

There is a rat in my kitchen. Count yourself lucky! Fecker is under the sink in a cupboard. Think he chewed through a previously closed up pipe opening. Can anyone help?! He's too smart for traps we have figured out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Lia_lia wrote: »
    There is a rat in my kitchen. Count yourself lucky! Fecker is under the sink in a cupboard. Think he chewed through a previously closed up pipe opening. Can anyone help?! He's too smart for traps we have figured out.
    You might get a few ideas here

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

You need to tie the bait to the trap so he has to pull on it . Something irresistible like chocolate or cooked meat should lure him in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Poison is useless. The f*ckers have figured it out. Only one thing for it. Grenades. Preferably German world war two types.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Bloody loads of em still about. The swatter I bought during the summer has come in pretty handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Imagine how big they will be by next summer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Archeron

I have a hippo in the water tank in my attic cooling down from the burning winter sun. My raw cabbage bill is going to rocket if I'm to keep him fed and calm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Poison is a wast of time but apparently they hate ammonia and if the smell it they will do anything to get away from it. I was watching a docu about them in the New York subways and homeless people will rub the stuff all over the clothes so they won't crawl on them when they are sleeping. They then showed a woman soaking rags in ammonia and putting them behind cupboards and the like and they disappeared after that.

Cages are also good as they will slam shut when they are in them but you then have to dispose of them so have a large suitcase to put the cage in if you use that method as the last thing you want is a rat in a cage and nowhere to then put the cage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

under the fcuking water is where I'd be putting the cage.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

My house fly was not out yesterday but the temperature dropped in the afternoon so he has gone back into hibernation.. I have a butterfly sleeping in the en suite downstairs..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

You can borrow my cat or dog.. I pity any mouse or rat that dares to come near the place... One of my family in Canada when they had rat... kept putting poisoned food down and they just kept coming, They finally got an expert in who told then that they were coming for the food...a plague of them.. when she stopped feeding them they came no more...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The shortest day of 2015 is actually today, the 22nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The shortest day of 2015 is actually today, the 22nd.

Better get a move on so.

kneemos wrote: »
    You need to tie the bait to the trap so he has to pull on it . Something irresistible like chocolate or cooked meat should lure him in.

We have 4 traps, with a mixture of bacon, peanut butter and chocolate! No sign of anything in the trap. Maybe he left. Must figure out how he got in. Haven't heard anything in a bit...

We used to have about 15 feral cats that hung around our house, now there are only about 2! Bring back the cats I say. We live a few doors down from a brewery so I think that attracts the rats. Yuck. Maybe all those cats were put there for a reason.

Sorry for the derailing the thread, thanks for the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

We caught the rat anyway in a trap! He went for the chocolate and peanut butter one if anyone is interested :P Hopefully that'll be the last of it.

Advertisement