Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No reduction in sentence for Rapist

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

If there was no-one prepared to run defences then there'd be no justice system.

It is in the interests of everyone that defence lawyers test the law to it's fullest, and try to pick holes in it.

It is absolutely right that they seek the best outcome for their clients, otherwise they'd be doing a bad job, and bad defence lawyers make for a bad justice system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,598 ✭✭✭brevity

Shouldn't have read the article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭screamer

No conscience and big fees.

I'm delighted that he got no reduction in sentence although even life in prison presumably about 10 years is a pathetic sentence compared to what he did to those little ones and their families.

Id be very glad for the likes of him to spend the rest of his miserable life caged like the animal he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

DellyBelly wrote: »
    What I find incredible is that his lawyers argued because of his co-operation with the police that he should have his sentence reduced. Do they really believe that?

it works out ok for an awful lot of scumbags, probably worth a shot

court heard scumbag is trying to turn his life around, got involved in drugs at a young age, hopes to get a job blah blah blah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

They are hired to do a job so they have to do the best job they can. I can't understand why they take these cases in the first place sometimes. I know I wouldn't give 100% in to defending scum like that, I couldn't bring myself to engage with him at all. I guess they become desensitized over time, probably have to in order to deal with all the stuff they hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

total waste of money keeping that alive for the next few decades

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

As a parent of young girls I'd say he'd be safer in prison....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Evil scum. I hope he serves every last second he was sentenced. He will probably be pampered and kept away from the general population while he's inside for "his own safety". He will do it again when he gets out. He should be castrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It's normal for defence solicitors to argue for reduced sentences due to co-operation. It's there for a reason. Reduced sentences for co-operation give people who are definitely guilty a reason to plead guilty. If there was no reduced sentences for doing so, all cases would be contested and waste court/garda/solicitor time.

What annoys me is the concurrent sentencing. He got 2 life sentences which are running concurrently, so really he is only serving 1 life sentence. There should never, ever be concurrent sentencing, it should all be consecutive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Early co operation after the 5th interview.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

Remember reading a few weeks ago that he was up in the Court of Appeal. Searched for an outcome about a week later but couldn't find anything, so thanks for posting.

Obviously, very glad that he didn't get any reduction. He deserves never to be allowed out again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I don't understand the hate defense lawyers get sometimes.
    They're doing a job, and if that jobs gets a murderer/rapist released, it's not their fault. It's a failure on the part of the justice system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

El Guapo! wrote: »
    They're doing a job, and if that jobs gets a murderer/rapist released, it's not their fault. It's a failure on the part of the justice system.

Not to mention that those who are falsely accused of crimes rely on them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Ineedaname

Exactly. A lawyer swears an oath to give the best defense they can. They can't pick and choose which clients deserve it. That would be judging them. Which is the jury's job not theirs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

As a parent of young girls I'd say he'd be safer in prison....

There's a long queue of people waiting for him to be released, definitely safer inside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Evil, evil man. He deserves every last second of his sentence. If he got out tomorrow a huge mob would be waiting at the prison gates to torture and lynch him - so he's definitely safer inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭melissak

scumbag. I hope he dies in jail. Painfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

True. Thankfully the justice system held its own on this one and this sicko is still behind bars for many a year to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Fair dues to the family for just detaining him. I doubt i would have been able.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

melissak wrote: »
    scumbag. I hope he dies in jail. Painfully.

An hour before he's due to get out in however many years time would be nice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Satriale wrote: »

???? they couldn't have known surely ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Satriale wrote: »

You do two things. Either kill him and you go to jail for a while.

Anything else is putting the entire case on the line, so best to detain him and not do anything to him. Scumbags like him out and about over a technically.

Advertisement