Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's This Bird? [ID'd - Cormorant]

Options
  • 20-12-2015 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭

I have seen a black bird (about the size of a heron - maybe a little smaller) upstream of the weir at the Ballincollig Regional park.

It has appeared only over the last 2 weeks - the water levels there are exceptionally high at the moment. It swims on the water, dives for a while and then re-surfaces.

A fellow walker there said it was a guillemot. But I thought they had some white on their plumage - the bird I am seeing is all black. Also, I thought guillemots were strictly sea birds only.

Any ideas? Sorry, no photo.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭emo72

comorant?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

Poulgorm wrote: »
    I have seen a black bird (about the size of a heron - maybe a little smaller) upstream of the weir at the Ballincollig Regional park.

It has appeared only over the last 2 weeks - the water levels there are exceptionally high at the moment. It swims on the water, dives for a while and then re-surfaces.

A fellow walker there said it was a guillemot. But I thought they had some white on their plumage - the bird I am seeing is all black. Also, I thought guillemots were strictly sea birds only.

Any ideas? Sorry, no photo.

cormorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭TombstoneT

Hi poulgorm,
    More than likely the bird was either a cormorant or a shag which as far as I know is the smaller of the two. I don't have my bird book handy at present.

Advertisement