Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a Monster.. Help!

Options
  • 20-12-2015 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I've been looking for a new phone for a while now and it needs to be a beast, not really because of my use, really down to just needing it to be the best.

Lag is a no no. It must be lightning fast, large screen 5.7" or above.

I have looked at the following handsets already and have included comments on why I can't pull the trigger and purchase one of them although my favourites are the Mate 8, S6 edge plus and the V10.

Huawei Mate 8 - The fastest processor and highest current benchmark score along with lots of high end specs. Not bad looking, reminds me a little of the M7, but it's been done already and only a 1080p display with a low pixel density.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus - Class all rounder, super fast, gorgeous. Downsides, low storage at 64GB non upgradable and no replaceable battery.

LG V10 64GB - I really like this device, love the LG interface, looks, Cameras, screen, sound options, SD card. Disappointing processor choice with the snapdragon 808 and poor battery life, why didn't LG go all out? I'm using an 810 now which gives better benchmark results and performance. I nearly bought this but a YouTube review turned me off when he said he never experienced lag on the note 5, but sometimes did on the V10.

Note 5 - All round beast, great features and specs. Storage and battery is the same story as the S6 Edge plus.

Nexus 6p - Nice looking phone, although reminds me of an iPhone and isn't a massive step up in current specs. My g flex 2 has the SD 810, 3GB of RAM and upgradable storage, but after bashing it and cracking the screen, I can't live with it as my main handset.

One plus 2 - pretty plain looking phone with the same processor I'm currently using and only a 5.5" display.

I'd like something with more power and 4GB of RAM. Basically an LG V10 with a better screen like the Samsung AMOLeds and the New ARM processor from the Mate 8

Any recommendations would be welcomed

Thanks

Dan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭nerobert

Xperia z5 premium

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭simdan

nerobert wrote:
    Xperia z5 premium

Cheers, had a look at it although it's only a 5.5" display and I'm looking for a performance jump from the snapdragon 810.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Mourinho

Haha you remind me of myself when I was shopping around for my last android, you think you've found the perfect phone and you spot something that would annoy you :p

I think you've nearly gone through all the big ones out there at the moment.

I had too and eventually has to look at what I wanted most and what I could do without.

For me, camera and battery were my big thing. So at the time I picked up the LG G4, top camera along with Samsungs, I have an iPhone 6s Plus now and it's the one thing that I seriously miss that I often have thoughts of selling the iPhone and picking up another G4 but I prefer iOS and am invested in the ecosystem for now.

I'm sure you know it but what I mean is you'll never get all the boxes ticked, some concessions will have to be made.

What's your barebones most needed features and we can go from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

That meizu is pretty beasty. Have a find 7 myself...after 14 months still faster than my brand new work iPhone 6s

• Advertisement

Mourinho wrote:
    For me, camera and battery were my big thing. So at the time I picked up the LG G4, top camera along with Samsungs, I have an iPhone 6s Plus now and it's the one thing that I seriously miss that I often have thoughts of selling the iPhone and picking up another G4 but I prefer iOS and am invested in the ecosystem for now.
    Mourinho wrote:
    I'm sure you know it but what I mean is you'll never get all the boxes ticked, some concessions will have to be made.
    Mourinho wrote:
    What's your barebones most needed features and we can go from there?

Cheers for the responses guys!

I'm looking for a QHD display
    High performance processor, something as good as the octa core in the s6 edge
    Expandable storage
    Decent cam :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Find 7 would actually have all that and they are flogging them now at a decent price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Mourinho

The Oppo Find 7 would def be a great one for your needs. Great cam, QHD, can take a SD card and has quick charge. The processor is an 801.

The LG G4 would cover the QHD, SD card and camera. Processor is an 808.

There is also the LG V10 which is only out a month or two and has an 808 it's like a upgraded G4 in all other areas tho from what I can see.

The likes of the Sony and Samsung would cover cams, screen and processors but you wouldn't get your expandable storage, would the 64GB option be workable?

I'm not being smart at all but bar being able to show high bench mark scores is there any need for the current TOP processor? These days the strains aren't like what they used be and you can see the likes of an 808 like my LG G4 chop through anything I threw at it.

Unless maybe your a big gamer would that be very important?

Perhaps waiting on seeing what the LG G5 might be like? I'm waiting on that myself all I want is finger print reader and the speaker moved to the bottom or front of the phone cause the rear one used get muffled if left down and they moved the V10 to the bottom so I'm hopeful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

Maybe look at the galaxy a9. Not announced yet but will be at ces in January

Downside is not the fastest processor - SD 620 and maybe screen res but 4000mah for a 6 inch screen aw man I have my sights on this when it comes out!

Mourinho wrote:
    Perhaps waiting on seeing what the LG G5 might be like? I'm waiting on that myself all I want is finger print reader and the speaker moved to the bottom or front of the phone cause the rear one used get muffled if left down and they moved the V10 to the bottom so I'm hopeful

I think you've hit the nail on the head.. I need to wait a few more months until New phones come out early next year. They should have processors superior to the snapdragon 8xx series by then.

I really like LG, so the G5 could be a contender. I nearly bought the V10, such a sweet phone :(

• Advertisement

So after lots of thought.. I've decided to buy a Huawei Mate 8. 64GB, 4GB, 6" and the fastest chip on the market. I know it's only 1080p but after watching reviews I am really impressed, the cam and image stabilization when recording video is surprisingly good.

Also I love the way it's unlocked and ready to mess around with roms etc.

For 570eur delivered. I think I need a change!

Advertisement