Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free hosting for php mysql and Json

Options
  • 20-12-2015 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to build an app that gets data from an SQL database and I decided the best way to do it is to use JSON and Php.
    Are there any free web hosts that would let me use Json?
    I know byethost doesn't allow it and 000webhost kicked me off their servers for a website I built using the word game in it so does anyone know of any?
    I don't want to have to pay for hosting because I'm only practicing and learning.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Why can't you just do it locally then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭quinnd6

I'd like to be able to demonstrate it outside my house.
    If I do it locally I won't be able to do that.
    Unless there was some way of making my local wamp server accessible on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

quinnd6 wrote: »
    I'd like to be able to demonstrate it outside my house.
    If I do it locally I won't be able to do that.
    Unless there was some way of making my local wamp server accessible on the internet.

Yes you can easily do it. You just need to setup your router correctly. Its called Port Forwarding. Google it for your router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Yes you can easily do it. You just need to setup your router correctly. Its called Port Forwarding. Google it for your router.

As BrokenArrow said, get a free dynamic DNS account, so you will have a domain name like quinnd6.ddns.net. It will point to your development box. Once you open the right ports on your router you can access it anywhere.

Another idea would be to use OpenShift, which is Red Hats offerring which is similar to Amazon Web Services.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

http://aws.amazon.com/free/ might work for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭redman85

Heroku's free tier would work https://www.heroku.com/pricing

If you are a student you get $50 free credit on DigitalOcean https://education.github.com/pack

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

You don't even need a DNS. Just the IP address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

You don't even need a DNS. Just the IP address.

OP said he might want to show his application to others. What happens if he gets a new DHCP lease while he is not at home? A dynamic DNS takes about 2 minutes to set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭quinnd6

Thanks lads I got it working using hostinger.co.uk and a free sub domain.

Advertisement