Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Glasses/Goggles

Options
  • 20-12-2015 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi, can anyone tell me the safety rating for Airsoft Safety eye wear. I have several pairs of industrial type safety eye wear (glasses and goggles) that are rated for impacts of 45m/s. (F rating). Would these be safe to use for skirmishing? Any advice appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ndf

I had wondered this myself and decided to do the calculations.

The European EN166 standard identifies four levels of ballistic protection. "Increased robustness" (marked S) can withstand a 22 mm steel ball weighing 43 g dropped onto the lens from a height of .38 meters (15 inches). "Low energy impact" (marked F) can withstand a 6mm steel ball weighing 0.86 g and traveling at least 45 m/s at the time of impact. "Medium energy impact" (marked B) must be able to protect from a 6 mm 0.86 g steel ball with an impact velocity of 120 m/s. "High energy impact" (marked A) must be able to protect from a 6 mm 0.86 g steel ball with an impact velocity of 190 m/s.

KE ( in Joules) = 0.5 ( a half) x the mass of the something (in kg) x the speed squared (in Meters/Second)

Irish legal limit for Airsoft ballistic energy : (0.0002kg / 2) * (100m/s ^2) = 1 joule
    Low Impact EN166 Googles : (0.00086 / 2) * (45^2) = 0.87075 joule
    Med Impact EN166 Goggles : (0.00086 / 2) * (120^2) = 6.192 joule
    High Impact EN166 Goggles : (0.00086 / 2) * (190^2) = 15.523 joule

Your goggles appear to be rated for Low Impact and these are tested at a lower threshold than current maximum legal airsoft ballistic energy in Ireland )(1j vs 0.87j)
    I strongly recommend the medium (120m/s) & high (190 m/s) impact goggles if you have them.

Regards, Niall.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭drvr

Thank you very much. I haven't a clue about your calculations but it agrees with my gut instinct, I have looked at the specs of some glasses etc on some airsoft websites and they seem to be selling "protective" eyewear that is LOW IMPACT (F) rated EN166 . This might be of interest to other players who think they are protected but aren't. Guess I'll have to go shopping. I'm not an airsofter myself but want to make sure my son is safe. Thanks again Niall

Advertisement