Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Maps Traffic

Options
  • 20-12-2015 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,848 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone use the traffic feature on Google maps & if so how accurate is it ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

Discodog wrote: »
    Does anyone use the traffic feature on Google maps & if so how accurate is it ?

Used it plenty of times. Usually accurate to a few minutes but if there's heavy traffic/rush hour it usually under estimates the time it will take, sometimes by huge amounts so don't rely on it in these circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,848 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Just to clarify I don't mean the journey time estimates. I meant the live traffic on google maps. How often does it refresh ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

Don't know exactly but I'd say every quarter hour to be somewhat accurate. It's only a 3 colour system so can't be too accurate anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

It varies on the location. I find the traffic status very accurate on busy roads or larger towns. I suppose it has more data. In smaller towns it's not as accurate during rush hour where it wouldn't have as many users and data and therefore not as accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,713 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I think it works very well especially around Dublin, not 100% accurate but a good indicator!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I use it in Cork and is typically quite accurate, there's a delay of a few minutes but it's not too noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭wandererz

It is fairly accurate but best not to bet on it down to 10-20minutes or if your life or job depends on it.

Googles algorithms are fairly good, and probably better than any other supplier.

It does take into account other people/devices that are contributing to this info though.

So (FOR EXAMPLE) if you are in a quiet area and most of the rest of the people are using IPhones without google maps and are not contributing location/speed and other information then the information delivered to you may not be entirely accurate.

Advertisement