Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE sports awards

Options
  • 20-12-2015 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭

Was great to see Henry Shefflin inducted into the RTE/Sport Ireland Hall of fame last night.

Also Dublin GAA fans have an awful sense of entitlement. Calling Dundalk winning team of the year a farce, anti Dublin etc Some of the comments on Twitter, some being made by grown men!, were nothing short of pathetic. It was a public vote at the end of the day. It was quite similar to rugby fans last year when the Cork ladies won.

On another note what does Brian Cody have to do to win the manager of the year award?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

You dissaprove of the behaviour of Dublin fans & rugby fans on social media? So you decide to have a go at them on social media, by calling them pathetic & entitled? Hmmmm....do they go in for irony much, down your neck of the woods?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭cms88

ProudDUB wrote: »
    You dissaprove of the behaviour of Dublin fans & rugby fans on social media? So you decide to have a go at them on social media, by calling them pathetic & entitled? Hmmmm....do they go in for irony much, down your neck of the woods?

Not really having a go now is it? Simply pointing out the fact that they thik they had a right to win it despite it being a public vote. In fact its that even the first time this week Dublin people have been complaining about not getting more attention.

Then again you're from Dublin so you would of course not see anything wrong with their comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

A thinly disguised @lets have a pop at the Dubs thread"☺️☺️☺️

cms88 wrote: »
    Not really having a go now is it? Simply pointing out the fact that they thik they had a right to win it despite it being a public vote. In fact its that even the first time this week Dublin people have been complaining about not getting more attention.

Then again you're from Dublin so you would of course not see anything wrong with their comments

I didn't express an opinion, one way or another, as to who I thought should win. But you decided to make a presumption about me regardless. It doesn't really reflect well on your inability to read a simple comment & not extrapolate it into being something entirely different. Or your willingness to give yourself a free pass to get a few digs in on social media, but to castigate others for doing the exact same thing.

Dublin won all 4 trophies they went after this year. A blind man would have seen that they would have been worthy winners of Team of the Year. That is not a sense of entitlement. It is a fact. Even so, I wouldn't have given the award to them. I think that the achievements of athletes, teams and managers who excel on the international stage, are more impressive than those in the rather confined and narrow world of Gaelic Games, no matter how impressive they may be. Am I still "entitled" now? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Dublin were 'entitled' to win the award. Won everything they entered. Shame they didn't but wouldn't begrudge a good news story for the LOI.
    Don't know what Cody has to do to win manager of the year.
    I personally don't think anything to do with NI soccer should be on RTEs award show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

As I said over on the Television forum

Does anyone (public or sportspeople) actually give a toss about these awards?

Seems like the only reason you would want to turn up is out of good manners rather than any prestige attached to the award.Surely an award decided by your own sporting body is far more important than being lumped together with various other sports , it's completely pointless comparing achievements across sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Smith614

Dundalk winning it is some joke. Junior B standard in the sport they play. It would be a bit like Warwickshire hurlers getting team of the year in the BBC sports awards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭eigrod

Michael O' Neill's team beat Finland, Faroe Islands and Greece in competitive games in 2015. That's it !

Stupid decision, but then again these type of awards ceremonies tend to be like that.

As I said over on the Television forum

Does anyone (public or sportspeople) actually give a toss about these awards?

Seems like the only reason you would want to turn up is out of good manners rather than any prestige attached to the award.Surely an award decided by your own sporting body is far more important than being lumped together with various other sports , it's completely pointless comparing achievements across sports.

Sports people aren't just anyone. They are people with much bigger egos and bigger wills to compete and succeed and win, than the average Joe.... even if that competing entails putting on your best bib and tuckers and smiling politely for the camera. That could explain their willingness to show up for these kind of award shows, especially when they are held at a time of year when they could probably find much better things to do with their time. They still show up in droves, year on and year out. Dan Carter flew in from France for the BBC one, which says something. Didn't Shelflin talk in his book about really, really wanting to win when he was up for Sports Person of the Year, when he was up against Derval O'Rourke?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Smith614 wrote: »
    Dundalk winning it is some joke. Junior B standard in the sport they play. It would be a bit like Warwickshire hurlers getting team of the year in the BBC sports awards.

Fantastic stuff! How many times did you grace everyone in a LOI ground this year with your presence to come to such an enlightened conclusion. Seeing as this was a public vote and all and obviously everyone else is wrong and we should all listen to your superior analysis of the LOI and the Warwickshire hurlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wextipp

Or Kilkenny winning the Leinster Championships.

Sports people aren't just anyone. They are people with much bigger egos and bigger wills to compete and succeed and win, than the average Joe.... even if that competing entails putting on your best bib and tuckers and smiling politely for the camera. That could explain their willingness to show up for these kind of award shows, especially when they are held at a time of year when they could probably find much better things to do with their time. They still show up in droves, year on and year out. Dan Carter flew in from France for the BBC one, which says something. Didn't Shelflin talk in his book about really, really wanting to win when he was up for Sports Person of the Year, when he was up against Derval O'Rourke?

Maybe.

They all seem quite pointless to me.The only awards in sport that really matter are the trophies they are competing for.

A lot of sportsmen make money for themselves by appearing to be nice and I suspect turning up for these things is part of building up their public image.

I may be completely wrong but honestly if I was a sportsman I'd find these awards to be completely pointless and a waste of my time.

Maybe.

They all seem quite pointless to me.The only awards in sport that really matter are the trophies they are competing for.

A lot of sportsmen make money for themselves by appearing to be nice and I suspect turning up for these things is part of building up their public image.

I may be completely wrong but honestly if I was a sportsman I'd find these awards to be completely pointless and a waste of my time.

But you aren't a top level sportsman, so you can't really say for sure how you'd feel about awards. Unless you are in their shoes, you can't really know how you'd feel.

If you were the one that was doing 5am training sessions in the January ice and snow, suffering repeated concussions, putting your personal life on hold, putting in the long hard rebab work after doing your cruciate for the 2nd time, going on the dry for the year, having your hamstring torn off the bone etc etc......then maybe you might have a different of opinion of award shows, where you get a pat on the back, for a job well done. No one would ever say that they mean as much as winning a trophy, but there is nothing wrong or unnatural with being happy about winning a personal award.

But you aren't a top level sportsman, so you can't really say for sure how you'd feel about awards. Unless you are in their shoes, you can't really know how you'd feel.

If you were the one that was doing 5am training sessions in the January ice and snow, suffering repeated concussions, putting your personal life on hold, putting in the long hard rebab work after doing your cruciate for the 2nd time, going on the dry for the year, having your hamstring torn off the bone etc etc......then maybe you might have a different of opinion of award shows, where you get a pat on the back, for a job well done. No one would ever say that they mean as much as winning a trophy, but there is nothing wrong or unnatural with being happy about winning a personal award.

I'm not necessarily criticizing individual awards I am criticizing the RTE sports awards ,BBC sports personality and similar type of awards as they are not real awards from sports bodies like Player of The Year etc.The RTE sports awards are just an attempt for RTE to promote itself through the guise of being about sport.

I doubt Michael Donnelan takes a huge amount of pride in his solo run being named the best GAA moment of all time but I'm sure he's quite proud of his all star and player of the year awards.

Having awards across sports is simply daft as it is impossible to compare achievement fairly across different sports.

But lots of professions, industries, companies etc have a The Year in Review/Awards type thingy, where the year just passed is reviewed. Hollywood does it for their tv shows and movies, the book world does it, the restaurant world does it etc etc. Awards are given out for best salesman, the best movie, the best non fictions book or whatever. The sports industry is no different. As the likes of the BBC and RTE televise them year in and year out, there must be a healthy enough interest from the public in them, so what's the harm?

But lots of professions, industries, companies etc have a The Year in Review/Awards type thingy, where the year just passed is reviewed. Hollywood does it for their tv shows and movies, the book world does it, the restaurant world does it etc etc. Awards are given out for best salesman, the best movie, the best non fictions book or whatever. The sports industry is no different. As the likes of the BBC and RTE televise them year in and year out, there must be a healthy enough interest from the public in them, so what's the harm?

These aren't awards being handed out by their own profession though.

It's the equivalent of having a combination Emmy's,Grammy's,Tony's,Oscar and Pulitzer Prize awards in the one award ceremony and awarding a particular film as the best entertainment of the year.When it's impossible to compare the merits of something across so many fields.

Each sport have their own awards ceremony each year which mean a lot more as it's a fair comparison between the competitors for those awards.

There's no harm in them I just think they're a pile of sh1te that gets far too much publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

RTE need to make up their mind as to whether it's an all-island awards show or not. I do not like the way they pick and choose sports stars from the north - they'll pay attention to the usual suspects (McIllroy, Conlan, and this year Michael O'Neill) people who are seen to either represent the whole island or come from a Nationalist background. But then they totally ignore the entire IFA Premiership (Dundalk nominated but Cliftonville were not), Rallying (massive the island over but particularly in the north) and any other relevant Northern sports star who is not seen as representing the whole island.
    They can't continue to nit-pick like this.

_Puma_ wrote: »
    Fantastic stuff! How many times did you grace everyone in a LOI ground this year with your presence to come to such an enlightened conclusion. Seeing as this was a public vote and all and obviously everyone else is wrong and we should all listen to your superior analysis of the LOI and the Warwickshire hurlers.

THE LOI is pure muck. There was a few matches on tv during the yr and it was comical stuff.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Ah so you're basing your opinion on the handful of games shown on TV? You're not exactly best placed to comment on the quality then. I watched Swansea v West Ham on Sunday which was awful. Can I say the Premier League is pure muck too?

Dundalk were worthy winners of Team of the Year. They won the league and cup double (as well as the LSC) losing only once in the league and once away to Champions League regulars BATE Borisov 2-1. Had they not drawn literally the toughest possible team they could have in the Champions League, I feel they could have had a decent run in Europe.

Don't think anyone would have complained had Dublin won it, but to say Dundalk didn't deserve it because they're a LOI team is typical uninformed nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭mariano rivera

THE LOI is pure muck. There was a few matches on tv during the yr and it was comical stuff.

Anybody who watched/ attended Inter county football games this year (And i was one of them) is no position to be commenting on the entertainment value of other sports.

Anybody who watched/ attended Inter county football games this year (And i was one of them) is no position to be commenting on the entertainment value of other sports.

Anyone who watched -insert sport here- this year is no position to comment on the entertainment value of other sports.

All im saying is the LOI is a terrible standard, failed footballers who had ambitions but failed to make the grade across channel. A lot of intercounty matches are terrible but the best teams are on a different planet to LOI .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

The only reason LOI is what it is is because Irish soccer fans ignore it in favour of English teams.
    If it had a proper local fan base revenue would rise along with wages so a higher standard of player.
    If you have a problem with LOI and looking for someone to blame for the state its in all you need to do is look in the mirror.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

cms88 wrote: »
    Was great to see Henry Shefflin inducted into the RTE/Sport Ireland Hall of fame last night.

Also Dublin GAA fans have an awful sense of entitlement. Calling Dundalk winning team of the year a farce, anti Dublin etc Some of the comments on Twitter, some being made by grown men!, were nothing short of pathetic. It was a public vote at the end of the day. It was quite similar to rugby fans last year when the Cork ladies won.

On another note what does Brian Cody have to do to win the manager of the year award?

Fair play to Dundalk, but in terms of popularity, attendances, scale of achievement, excitement etc, etc, it would be a bit like the New Zealand rugby team being passed over for whoever won the New Zealand soccer league :)

By the way, I agree with the point about Irish soccer supporters ignoring the LOI to watch mostly crap English soccer on the Tv and to pretend they are from some city in England, which is pathetic.

So yeah, fair play to Dundalk, but there is no way they could have beaten either of the international teams, or the Dubs, or indeed the Cats in a popular vote. Seriously!

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Fair play to Dundalk, but in terms of popularity, attendances, scale of achievement, excitement etc, etc, it would be a bit like the New Zealand rugby team being passed over for whoever won the New Zealand soccer league :)

By the way, I agree with the point about Irish soccer supporters ignoring the LOI to watch mostly crap English soccer on the Tv and to pretend they are from some city in England, which is pathetic.

So yeah, fair play to Dundalk, but there is no way they could have beaten either of the international teams, or the Dubs, or indeed the Cats in a popular vote. Seriously!

It was decided by public vote.

Not that that means anything as Michael Donnelan soloing the ball up the field and hand passing to a team mate was the greatest GAA moment of all time according to the general public.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

It was decided by public vote.

Not that that means anything as Michael Donnelan soloing the ball up the field and hand passing to a team mate was the greatest GAA moment of all time according to the general public.

I suspect it is a bit like those online polls that show that SF will win 97 seats :)

Dundalk winning says more about those who voted than those who did not vote.

Advertisement