Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Discworld novel to start off? (13 year old)

Options
  • 20-12-2015 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭

So, my son is big into reading and asked me the other day who Terry Pratchett was, and it got me thinking about picking up one of the discworld books for him for Christmas.

I've read a few of his books, but just dipped in and out of them in between other books I was reading, so don't have a great idea about which one might be a good introduction to the sort of style of writing and humour, and he sort that would really help you decide if you'd like them or not, any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Asking someone to pick the 'best' Discworld novel is impossible. I think the answer, for me, would be 'any of the first 30'! IMO it doesn't really hit it's stride until book 3 (Equal Rites). I've often recommended Mort for new readers, but it could depend on his preferences - there are series of Witches, the Watch (police), Wizards, and Death. He could also enjoy Good Omens, a book dealing with the End Times which is a collaboration between Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman and is absolutely excellent.

Here's a reading order for the series: http://www.lspace.org/books/reading-order-guides/the-discworld-reading-order-guide-20.jpg

Whichever you pick I'm sure he'll love it and the series will keep him occupied for years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Just start at the first book, the color of magic, brilliant read and they just keep getting better from there. the light fantastic is the second book and it is really a 2 book story , so get both to start with.
    The series is very enjoyable no matter what age you are.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Perhaps start in order of when the series started, which would give a good indication of the writer's progression. However there are,offhand, some discontinuities between earlier books so might I suggest Guards, Guards as a starting point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Cheers guys for the replies, I ended up in the shop earlier with a copy of Mort in one hand and Guards, Guards in the other so I must've been on the right track!

Settled for Mort in the end after reading the back cover, think he'll enjoy it, I'm sure he'll take it from there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

rizzodun wrote: »
    Cheers guys for the replies, I ended up in the shop earlier with a copy of Mort in one hand and Guards, Guards in the other so I must've been on the right track!

Settled for Mort in the end after reading the back cover, think he'll enjoy it, I'm sure he'll take it from there!

Honestly, mort is not the one to go with, it's okay but you need to have read previous books to follow the story, go with the colour of magic as it was the first of the disc world series, or possibly guards, guards as it was the first of the alternative story line.
    Mort is OK but probably the worst to start with as it's like jumping in to the TV show 24 half way in
    Sorry for been negative, but it' the wrong one tof start with.
    It involves characters that were introduced in earlier books, ie parents etc, who had their own time lines. Great book, but you need to have read the previous books to make sense of it..
    If the shop recommend it then shop elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

first one I read was lords and ladies and I loved it. if the writing style and world appeal to him, he'll more or less like any of the first 25-30

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Skatedude wrote: »
    Honestly, mort is not the one to go with, it's okay but you need to have read previous books to follow the story, go with the colour of magic as it was the first of the disc world series, or possibly guards, guards as it was the first of the alternative story line.
    Mort is OK but probably the worst to start with as it's like jumping in to the TV show 24 half way in
    Sorry for been negative, but it' the wrong one tof start with.
    It involves characters that were introduced in earlier books, ie parents etc, who had their own time lines. Great book, but you need to have read the previous books to make sense of it..
    If the shop recommend it then shop elsewhere.

I'll take it in board certainly, might just have to buy him two books in that case!

Advertisement