Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy smartphone in Dublin under 200 euro?

Options
  • 20-12-2015 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend the best place to buy a smartphone in Dublin? It's a Christmas present so I've left it too late for the online places like pixmania or expansys.

Spec wise I'd be looking for at least 8 GB memory and decent screen size, at least 4.7 inch. Price wise up to 170 or 180 or maybe I'd push to 200 if there was an offer on a good spec one.

So far I've looked at Argos and found a shop on Wicklow street called Pairmobile. Their website doesn't give any info on what phones they have or prices so I'll go in there later today.

Also a question - the person I'm buying for has a Tesco mobile already, I think he has some deal where he pays 10 euro per month. Will a Tesco sim work with a sim free mobile?

Tia.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Can anyone recommend the best place to buy a smartphone in Dublin? It's a Christmas present so I've left it too late for the online places like pixmania or expansys.

Spec wise I'd be looking for at least 8 GB memory and decent screen size, at least 4.7 inch. Price wise up to 170 or 180 or maybe I'd push to 200 if there was an offer on a good spec one.

So far I've looked at Argos and found a shop on Wicklow street called Pairmobile. Their website doesn't give any info on what phones they have or prices so I'll go in there later today.

Also a question - the person I'm buying for has a Tesco mobile already, I think he has some deal where he pays 10 euro per month. Will a Tesco sim work with a sim free mobile?

Tia.

Moto G from Meteor or three fits the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Is it the same on the 3rd gen moto g that it'll lock to the network of the first sim inserted?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Some_randomer

I presume it would need to be unlocked for a Tesco SIM?
    FrostyJim wrote: »
    Is it the same on the 3rd gen moto g that it'll lock to the network of the first sim inserted?

Would also be curious to know..

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 489 ✭✭AngryDiMaria

€170 for the Vodafone smart ultra 6, can be bought online or in Vodafone stores.

http://www.vodafone.ie/dynamic-eshop#product/prepay/vodafone-smart-ultra-6-pay-as-you-go

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭NATLOR

I presume it would need to be unlocked for a Tesco SIM?

Would also be curious to know..

Loads of sellers on E Bay provide unlock codes for the moto g at around €2

• Advertisement

No idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭keavebm

Just go on adverts or done deal for a little bit extra ul get Samsung s6

keavebm wrote: »
    Just go on adverts or done deal for a little bit extra ul get Samsung s6

Yeah, about two and a half times more! I'd go with the moto g 3rd gen. And an unlock code from eBay. The su6 is a great phone also but is vf branded so I wouldn't buy it as a present for someone who's not on vodafone.

Yeah, about two and a half times more! I'd go with the moto g 3rd gen. And an unlock code from eBay. The su6 is a great phone also but in vf branded so I wouldn't buy it as a present for someone who's not on vodafone.

The moto g on meteor and three is the version with 1gb of RAM which is a pitiful amount for android these days, the su6 has 2gb RAM and can be unlocked for a few euro with an unlock code from eBay. Then uninstall/disable the Vodafone apps.

The moto g on meteor and three is the version with 1gb of RAM which is a pitiful amount for android these days, the su6 has 2gb RAM and can be unlocked for a few euro with an unlock code from eBay. Then uninstall/disable the Vodafone apps.

I own a vf su6. I know its a great phone. I just wouldn't buy it as a present for someone as many of the su6's are hard to root now and it has a big Vodafone logo on the back. It's no big deal to me but I just wouldn't give it as a present in case the person thought I was being a cheapskate buying a branded phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭keavebm

FrostyJim wrote:
    Yeah, about two and a half times more! I'd go with the moto g 3rd gen. And an unlock code from eBay. The su6 is a great phone also but is vf branded so I wouldn't buy it as a present for someone who's not on vodafone.

Actually no about 100 euro extra bought 2 already for 300 each.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

€170 for the Vodafone smart ultra 6, can be bought online or in Vodafone stores.

http://www.vodafone.ie/dynamic-eshop#product/prepay/vodafone-smart-ultra-6-pay-as-you-go

+1 on this. Fantastic phone, and I believe it's faster than the Moto G. I have the Smart Ultra 6 and it's the best phone I've had in years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

+1 on this. Fantastic phone, and I believe it's faster than the Moto G. I have the Smart Ultra 6 and it's the best phone I've had in years.

I saw the Moto G recommended on another thread, looks ok except the RAM seems a bit low, didn't really want to have to move service provider, but a recent bit of dissatisfaction with TescoMobile has made me consider moving.
    I was happy with Tesco and was happy enough with the PAYG deal, and I've been considering an upgrade for a while and now that may include having to move.

Whats the RAM on that phone? the spec doesnt say on the vodafone website.
    Most service providers dont generally seem to provide that, which I'd have thought is important as a comparison.
    I'm looking to upgrade around the €170 mark, but really I want to upgrade from the 1gb RAM mark, to at least 1.5 GB but possibly to 2GB.

I'm not interested in buying a really expensive high end phone as the money isnt available for that, I kind of prefer PAYG, but might have considered moving to bill pay if it suited my call costs and had thought (and it seems) its the only way to get a bit better (even only slightly so) of a phone than I have now.

My current phone is 1GB RAM but it always seems slow and at or past its limits. I was surprised I couldn't access the full amount of my SD cards memory as I replaced an earlier smartphone as it had a serious problem with this, eventually the battery went on that phone and it was as cheap to upgrade as buy a replacement battery.
    I discovered I could have rooted that phone and probably my current one to improve that situation, but Im more looking for a useable off the shelf phone as I dont have time to be messing about with phones.

One of the problems with other service providers is that the packages on offer dont really suit me, ie Meteor and vodafone is the billing bundles dont suit me as I have a mix of use, not just data, text or calls

cerastes wrote: »
    I saw the Moto G recommended on another thread, looks ok except the RAM seems a bit low, didn't really want to have to move service provider, but a recent bit of dissatisfaction with TescoMobile has made me consider moving.
    I was happy with Tesco and was happy enough with the PAYG deal, and I've been considering an upgrade for a while and now that may include having to move.

Whats the RAM on that phone? the spec doesnt say on the vodafone website.
    Most service providers dont generally seem to provide that, which I'd have thought is important as a comparison.
    I'm looking to upgrade around the €170 mark, but really I want to upgrade from the 1gb RAM mark, to at least 1.5 GB but possibly to 2GB.

I'm not interested in buying a really expensive high end phone as the money isnt available for that, I kind of prefer PAYG, but might have considered moving to bill pay if it suited my call costs and had thought (and it seems) its the only way to get a bit better (even only slightly so) of a phone than I have now.

My current phone is 1GB RAM but it always seems slow and at or past its limits. I was surprised I couldn't access the full amount of my SD cards memory as I replaced an earlier smartphone as it had a serious problem with this, eventually the battery went on that phone and it was as cheap to upgrade as buy a replacement battery.
    I discovered I could have rooted that phone and probably my current one to improve that situation, but Im more looking for a useable off the shelf phone as I dont have time to be messing about with phones.

One of the problems with other service providers is that the packages on offer dont really suit me, ie Meteor and vodafone is the billing bundles dont suit me as I have a mix of use, not just data, text or calls

2gb RAM

http://m.gsmarena.com/vodafone_smart_ultra_6-7313.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Is there a non Vodafone branded equivalent? I like the look of this but looking at the vodafone billing options, Im not so keen on.

Whats a good, comparable other brand? Im currently comparing, but if anyone has come across something similar already.

cerastes wrote: »
    Is there a non Vodafone branded equivalent? I like the look of this but looking at the vodafone billing options, Im not so keen on.

Whats a good, comparable other brand? Im currently comparing, but if anyone has come across something similar already.

Buy the Vodafone version and unlock it, easiest solution.

Advertisement