Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing subjects to teach

Options
  • 20-12-2015 1:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Right, so I am filling out the CAO form at the moment. I have always thought that teaching was the right choice for me, but I am alarmed at the apparent absence of jobs.

I know I want to be a french teacher. I absolutely love french. I am fully aware that with only one subject I am not going to get far, so here are my other considerations:

Gaeilge (I am fluent in Irish and I would be willing to do a degree in it so I would get the qualification to teach it)
    Geography (One of my favorite subjects and probably something I could fall back on if I later decided teaching wasn't what I wanted to do)
    Mathematics (I really like maths and if I didn't become a teacher, I'd do something with finance)
    Biology (My second favorite subject, but it seems impossible to become a french and biology teacher, so I might give it a miss)

Thanks for ye'r advice

I am fully aware that the professional master of education is very expensive and there are few jobs at present. The reason I am asking this question is so that I can find out whether or not I will increase my chances of getting a job with the correct subject choices. If teaching is completely and utterly oversubscribed, I guess I'll have to look for something else. It's a pity I am useless with sewing because I hear Home Ec. teachers are always in demand ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bearhugs

Gaeilge or Maths would be my recommendation. Best of luck whatever you choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

JrJr12992 wrote: »
    Right, so I am filling out the CAO form at the moment. I have always thought that teaching was the right choice for me, but I am alarmed at the apparent absence of jobs.

I know I want to be a french teacher. I absolutely love french. I am fully aware that with only one subject I am not going to get far, so here are my other considerations:

Gaeilge (I am fluent in Irish and I would be willing to do a degree in it so I would get the qualification to teach it)
    Geography (One of my favorite subjects and probably something I could fall back on if I later decided teaching wasn't what I wanted to do)
    Mathematics (I really like maths and if I didn't become a teacher, I'd do something with finance)
    Biology (My second favorite subject, but it seems impossible to become a french and biology teacher, so I might give it a miss)

Thanks for ye'r advice

I am fully aware that the professional master of education is very expensive and there are few jobs at present. The reason I am asking this question is so that I can find out whether or not I will increase my chances of getting a job with the correct subject choices. If teaching is completely and utterly oversubscribed, I guess I'll have to look for something else. It's a pity I am useless with sewing because I hear Home Ec. teachers are always in demand ;)

It's not a matter of choosing subjects that will get you a job. You have to choose subjects that you have a passion and enthusiasm for and that you can transfer that passion and enthusiasm onto your students. Remember you will spend a long time teaching it/them.

Getting a job is difficult no matter subject you have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

From a cold stats point of view I'd go French/Irish (with the possibility of extending it to another language later!)...Although Irish (and from what I hear it is actually in demand!) mightn't be the best if you decide to travel abroad.

Don't know of many maths/Irish teachers, if you're relying on getting sub work.
    I think the languages folk stick together and the maths/science are birds of a feather too (In my school anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Comhairleoir

French & Irish.

Advertisement