Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor 2D picture quality in 3D screens in Odeon Blanchardstown

Options
  • 19-12-2015 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭

Well considering the last fellow brought up the ODEON, I'd like to talk about the ODEON in Blanchardstown for a minute and warn people about the quality in some of the screens.

Basically this is my local cinema and the one where I see all my films. I'm not a fan of 3d so see most of my films in 2d.

There are 9 screens in the Odeon Blanchardstown and 7 of them have 3D projectors. And this is a problem because they show both 3d and 2d films throughout the day. And they dont change the lens between showings.

If you have visited a cinema to watch a film and thought to yourself "bloody hell this is so dark....I cant see anything!" then the projector either needs a new bulb as its probably a few years old or it has a 3d lens in it. Now, we all know the dimness issue with 3D technology but thats not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about a 2D film shown with a 3D lens.

And this is whats happening here in Blanch. I've recently watched Avengers Ultron, SPECTRE, and Star wars in 2D in screens 9, 2 and 3 respectively. The same problem on all three occassions. The brightness is quite dim and loads of shadow detail is lost. Because they are showing 3D and 2D films throughout the day on the same projector, they arent changing the lens. It's apparently quite common throughout the industry since the 3D boom hit. I had similar experiences in London and in Florida on a couple of occassions so its not just an Irish thing.

Screens 4 and 7 are the only two dedicated 2D screens in the place and the picture quality is fine. I saw Jurassic Park in screen 4 and it was lovely. So do yourself a favour and only go to screens 4 and 7 if you are seeing a 2D film. Avoid the other screens.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I hope you don’t mind, Kirby, but I split this into its own thread because I think it deserves it.

This is a problem in Vue in Liffey Valley as well. They have five 3D screens and frequently show 2D films in them with noticeable reduction in brightness.

In fairness to the cinemas, changing the lens isn’t an easy or fast process, especially when one of the selling points of modern projection systems is that they don’t have to employ a projectionist.

But the drop in 2D picture quality in 3D screens can be very noticeable. Not only do you have the dimness from the polarised lens, the silver screens used in many 3D set-ups have a narrow viewing angle meaning even more light loss for anyone sitting on the sides. And if the lens is misaligned because the technician was lazy, forget it. I saw The Dark Knight Rises this way and it wasn’t pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

I've been on here before mentioning the exact same degraded brightness phenomenon happening in Mahon Point Cork. To me it appears worse than the ~30% drop in brightness with a 3D film. They mustn't get many complaints but I can't understand how people can stand it. I haven't bothered in the past but I'll definitely put in a complaint next time. No point moaning here if I don't at least bring it up to the manager. It's put me off going to films showing in the bigger screens which is a real shame. I want to go see Star Wars but my options are 3D, infuriatingly dim or small screen :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

In fairness to the cinemas, changing the lens isn’t an easy or fast process, especially when one of the selling points of modern projection systems is that they don’t have to employ a projectionist

This is a good point but surely then they have too many dedicated 3d screens? If you have 9 screens I can see 3 of them being dedicated but the rest should be left 2d surely? People arent going to see romcoms or character pieces in 3d....only the blockbusters and there arent enough of them throughout the year to warrant it.

It just strikes me as lazy and taking the piss out of the customer. People notice. Everybody notices. It's just most people dont know how to express it or they think its a problem with the movie itself.

Well it seems my favored screen 4 has been 3d-ified. It's as dark and dim as the rest now. Sigh. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Depends on the projection system. In modern ones, like the Sony 4Ks, the polarising filter is part of the lens. So the whole lens would have to be swapped out. Sony claim a trained technician can do this in 20 minutes. Since multiplexes no longer employ projectionists, the only person probably qualified do this is the manager. But neither Sony nor the multiplexes think swapping the lens out is necessary as the light is still within the recommended range. If it’s good enough for 3D showings (which people pay extra for), it’s good enough for 2D as well…

But neither Sony nor the multiplexes think swapping the lens out is necessary as the light is still within the recommended range.

The people in charge who think that range is acceptable should be forced to sit through transformers, the room and troll 2 on a loop with that dim range until their eyes bleed.

In no way is it acceptable. The lumen level is just too low. Any director or photographer worth his salt would puke at what is being served up to the public.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Note to mods.Any chance of a sticky thread specificly related to regional cinema issues?Lot of threads like this that are of no sigificance to anyone outside Dublin.

I'm going to bump this as frankly, this is an issue worth discussing and noticing. It hasn't gotten any better and If I knew who to complain to or write to I would do it. The problem is the staff their just don't give a sh*t. Its not their job so they don't care.

Verbal complaints are a waste of time and will nearly always be ignored regardless of who you speak to. Complaints get passed down the chain, rarely up. And if it's not in writing, it might as well have never happened.

Write a letter to Odeon. They'll probably pass it on to the manager who will fob you off, but at least they'll have a record of it. I wouldn't necessarily mention anything about 3D filters or lenses or anything that suggests you know what you are talking about. Just say the 2D picture quality is dark and crap compared to other cinemas.

Since the problem is with the projectors and would require hiring a projectionist, defeating the purpose of purchasing said projectors, I wouldn't expect anything to be done about it unless they receive a lot of complaints. Which again is why you should put it in writing so they have a record.

• Advertisement

Saw Independence day 2 yesterday in the Odeon blanch. Awful movie but the point being nothing has changed. Same ultra dim and dark visuals on display. I like having a local cinema and there is always parking. I'd prefer not to have to go into town every time I want to see a film so I wish they would just cop on and fix this.

3d films have ruined the industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Where in town doesn't have this issue?

beauf wrote: »
    Where in town doesn't have this issue?

IFI and the Lighthouse.

And I've never experienced it in Cineworld, though I don't go there often.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Kirby wrote: »
    Saw Independence day 2 yesterday in the Odeon blanch. Awful movie but the point being nothing has changed. Same ultra dim and dark visuals on display. I like having a local cinema and there is always parking. I'd prefer not to have to go into town every time I want to see a film so I wish they would just cop on and fix this.

3d films have ruined the industry.

I'm somewhat similar as yourself in ignoring 3D films and only watching 2D. Think 3D is a total nonsense.

I go to ODEON Point for all our viewing and can't say I've noticed this. Be interesting when I get my copy of BvS on Bluray, as I did feel that entire film felt darker then it should. I know I saw it in a screen that is typically for 3D viewings.

TheDoc wrote: »
    I'm somewhat similar as yourself in ignoring 3D films and only watching 2D. Think 3D is a total nonsense.

I go to ODEON Point for all our viewing and can't say I've noticed this. Be interesting when I get my copy of BvS on Bluray, as I did feel that entire film felt darker then it should. I know I saw it in a screen that is typically for 3D viewings.

Actual 3d, like the kind you get with a VR headset, is just so far beyond the kind of 3d you get with projection screens with glasses its hilarious. So I'm with you there.

Both BvS and man of steel are both dark films with a fairly dark contrast so I wouldn't read too much into that. It was an artistic choice. If you had a 3d filter on a 2d film, I'd have to think you would notice. It's super obvious and I'm flabberghasted how more people don't notice in general. ODEON point sounds like a better option. I might check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Completely gone off 3D films. Could be my imaginationz but 2D films seem to have a bigger crowd draw again? Any way tobchecl this out?

Just to update this.....same old, same old unfortunately. The image quality is still terrible. And now they've recently added reclining seats in screens 1 and 9.....and are charging an arm and a leg for it.

21.50 euro per person to see Star Wars this Thursday. Thats absolutely nuts. And I wouldn't mind but they haven't upgraded the projectors. They are still a dim disaster.

43 euro for a couple to see a film seems way too high for me. Am I just getting old? Am I grandpa Simpson? 3d and 2d seems to be the same price which is odd. Apparently they are charging just for the seats.

If you avoid the fancy seats and just go for 2d in a smaller screen its 14 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

21.50 for a cinema ticket is insane. Is that in the new Odeon LieMAX? It's even more expensive than the one in Cineworld (18.50 iirc).

I wasn't really aware that 3D projectors had such an effect on 2D films. Would have thought the light loss is mostly due to wearing the 3D glasses tbh. I'd be seriously annoyed if I went to a 2D screening and got some ****ty dark projection.

Thank christ for Light House and IFI in Dublin. The multiplexes seem to be going out of their way to make a miserable and expensive experience for everyone these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

If you avoid the fancy seats and just go for 2d in a smaller screen its 14 euro.

There are no 2D only screens are there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭falinn merking

Multiplex cinemas have really ruined the move experience.

I remember the Adelphi screen 1 massive scope screen with drapes.
    The drapes use to close over before a scope movie to hide the screen masking opening up to the scope ratio.

These days multiplex cinemas half the time the masking is not working that is if the cinema even has screen masking.
    Lights stay on during the trailers exit signs close to many screens create a green blob reflection during dark scenes.
    People playing with phones and kicking seats and talking.
    Many projectors are not lined up properly with the screen and many projectors are way too dark.

In the days of the Adelphi at home me had small crappy CRT 4:3 televisions and low quality VHS.
    Now in the days of the Digital multiplex we have Blu Ray massive screens and surround sound at home.
    The cinema has lost it's magic.

beauf wrote: »
    There are no 2D only screens are there?

Well technically no. They do have 2D showings.....but they are all with 3D projectors so the image is pretty dim.

Just an update, no change. Fed up with it to be honest.

I've tried Santry IMC and also Vue in Liffey Valley. Both have the same problem. An incredibly dim image. Cant make out any shadow detail at all.

Watching The Last Jedi and Black Panther, with all those dark scenes was a nightmare.

I'm at my wits end. Can anyone recommend a cinema in dublin that shows new releases that doesn't have this problem? I think I might try The Point next but it's Odeon like blanch is so I'm not holding out much hope.

I've tried Santry IMC and also Vue in Liffey Valley. Both have the same problem. An incredibly dim image. Cant make out any shadow detail at all.

Watching The Last Jedi and Black Panther, with all those dark scenes was a nightmare.

I'm at my wits end. Can anyone recommend a cinema in dublin that shows new releases that doesn't have this problem? I think I might try The Point next but it's Odeon like blanch is so I'm not holding out much hope.

Probably mentioned already but the Lighthouse and Cineworld don't have this problem. Or in the case of Odeon and Vue, find out which screens are the 3D ones and avoid them. In Vue, the 3D screens are 1, 4, 5, 9 and 10.

Wait. So 2,3,6,7 and 8 in Liffey Valley all have 2d projectors? Are you sure?

Wait. So 2,3,6,7 and 8 in Liffey Valley all have 2d projectors? Are you sure?

Yes. 11-14 are 2D as well but very small. They only have five 3D screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Was in Savoy #5 yesterday, thoroughly crap experience overall but the biggest complaint I had was it was dim AF (Avengers).

Any chance we boardsies could maintain a list of good/bad screens?

What about the iMax screens in Cineword?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

The standard of cinemas in Ireland is abysmal. In Eastern Europe, a place where many Irish people would scoff at as being poor **** holes, their cinemas put ours to absolute shame and the best part was they're actually fairly priced. The Irish just love to gouge and squeeze profits at any possible opportunity without any actual decent consideration about providing a decent service to the customers. We don't even have a proper IMAX screen in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Lighthouse, omniplex rathmines and stella rathmines - none have this issue.

Advertisement