Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone circa 300???

Options
  • 19-12-2015 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Looking to get a phone for the gf around 300. Can go a bit above if neccessary. Was looking at chinese phones but really unsure.

Letlv 1 looks quite good but read about overheating, battery drain etc. Redmi Note 3 looks very impressive but it is so new out that it is very hard to get info on it.

Anyone have any suggestions? My gf really wouldnt want some things like some menus being in chinese etc which I have read about the letlv 1 etc. Cheers

EDIT: She was really set on the iphone because it is just ready to use out of the box. That kind of thing. So if any tips about a chinese phone that would work straight away would be a big help. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭TotallyEpic

I just grabbed a ZUK Z1 for 259.99, and get the info in my post here.

It's from a reputable manufacturer (Lenovo), 5.5" 1080p IPS display, Snapdragon 801, 3GB RAM, 64GB and a 4100mAh battery, but most importantly runs Cyanogen OS out of the box, so you know it will have decent software support for the foreseeable future. The Redmi Note 3 looks like a good device, but there's no global MIUI rom available for it yet (which means no Google services, but they can be sideloaded to some degree.).

The next best option will likely be the OnePlus X which you can get delivered for about 295 odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭richy

I just grabbed a ZUK Z1 for 259.99, and get the info in my post here.

It's from a reputable manufacturer (Lenovo), 5.5" 1080p IPS display, Snapdragon 801, 3GB RAM, 64GB and a 4100mAh battery, but most importantly runs Cyanogen OS out of the box, so you know it will have decent software support for the foreseeable future. The Redmi Note 3 looks like a good device, but there's no global MIUI rom available for it yet (which means no Google services, but they can be sideloaded to some degree.).

The next best option will likely be the OnePlus X which you can get delivered for about 295 odd.

Thanks for the reply. I was also thinking of the one plus x but it got some bad reviews and ill be waiting like 3 weeks for delivery it seems from what I read.

Thats one of the drawbacks I have read about the Redmi alright. That ZUK does look really good. I must look at it again.

I saw that ZUK Z1 too on a top 5 list but I thought seeing as it was a year old it might be outdated already. I really know very little about phones though.I must have a look at it again, the stats do look very good. Any issues with overheating?

I remember one of the reasons I was worried about the z1. That new charger kinda put me off. I know its supposed to be the new type of charger but she loses the chargers constantly so its handy if we both have the same type of charger.

How long is delivery from oppomart? And did you get charged import costs? Are oppomart legit? It looks v good think i might buy it or else maybe the oneplus2. Saw it is only an extra 100. Its actually cheaper on oppomart than on their official website

EDIT: Condensed two of my comments into 1 so ignore this one!

richy wrote: »
    I think I remember one of the reasons I didnt like it. That new charger that it is. I know its supposed to be the new type of charger and she loses the chargers constantly so its handy if we both have the same type of charger.

How long is delivery from oppomart? And did you get charged import costs? Are oppomart legit? It looks v good think i might buy

You can get really cheap USB to USB-C adapters though:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/USB-3-1-Type-C-Male-to-Micro-USB-Female-Converter-USB-C-Black-Adapter-USB-Type-/272010953429?hash=item3f551dc2d5:g:LmgAAOSwtlhWF1uF

If you look at the post I linked in my previous link, it's where I got it for 259.99, delivered from Germany, so no VAT or duty.

The ZUK Z1 has a Snapdragon 801, which is from 2014, but the phone was only released in October. The 801 is still a very popular SoC, and it's the same as what the OnePlus X uses. It's more than enough than anything she will want to use it for.

You can get really cheap USB to USB-C adapters though:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/USB-3-1-Type-C-Male-to-Micro-USB-Female-Converter-USB-C-Black-Adapter-USB-Type-/272010953429?hash=item3f551dc2d5:g:LmgAAOSwtlhWF1uF

If you look at the post I linked in my previous link, it's where I got it for 259.99, delivered from Germany, so no VAT or duty.

The ZUK Z1 has a Snapdragon 801, which is from 2014, but the phone was only released in October. The 801 is still a very popular SoC, and it's the same as what the OnePlus X uses. It's more than enough than anything she will want to use it for.

Ok it must have been the chip which I read is a year old not the phone itself. My bad. Ya im gonna get it alright id say. Thanks for the replies. How long did it take to come?

I looked at the thread you posted in before. Just gonna look over it again

• Advertisement

richy wrote: »
    Ok it must have been the chip which I read is a year old not the phone itself. My bad. Ya im gonna get it alright id say. Thanks for the replies. How long did it take to come?

I looked at the thread you posted in before. Just gonna look over it again

I just ordered it tonight, think it said 2-4 days delivery, but it'll be after Christmas at this point I'd say.

Biggest 'cons' I've seen people mention are the lack of NFC and the generic design. Neither one really bothers me to be fair, I even kind of like the design.

I just ordered it tonight, think it said 2-4 days delivery, but it'll be after Christmas at this point I'd say.

Biggest 'cons' I've seen people mention are the lack of NFC and the generic design. Neither one really bothers me to be fair, I even kind of like the design.

I too really like the look of it but might not like the plastic backcover. Seems like a great phone though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Oneplus X without a doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭bren2002

Even without 4G?

Does anyone know if you need both band 3 and 20 on meteor for the phone to work. The phone supporst band 3 (1800) but not band 20 (800). Band 20 is for rural areas i think and band 3 is urban. Will the phone be crap in rural areas as no band 20?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

bren2002 wrote: »
    Even without 4G?

Asia/EU (E1003)
    GSM: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900MHz
    WCDMA: Bands 1(2100MHz) / 2(1900MHz) / 5(850MHz) / 8(900MHz)
    FDD-LTE: Bands 1(2100MHz) / 3(1800MHz) / 5(850MHz) / 7(2600MHz) / 8(900MHz) / 20(800MHz)
    TDD-LTE: Bands 38(2600MHz) / 40(2300MHz)

Advertisement