Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

‘Who’s Your Daddy’: The Twisted New Video Game Featuring Suicidal Babies

Options
  • 19-12-2015 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭

http://www.konbini.com/en/entertainment-2/whos-daddy-suicidal-baby-video-game/

"For some, childhood is a painful memory, best forgotten. And with radical new game Who’s Your Daddy video game, featuring “a clueless father attempting to prevent his infant son from certain death”, you can put an end to it altogether.

Playing one on one, you are invited to take on either the role of the loving and attentive father, or his suicidal baby. In the shoes of Daddy, the aim of the game is to stop your little rascal from topping himself; as the rascal in question, your job is to escape.

With knives, ovens, stairs, and electric sockets all posing a danger in the family home, the video gives you an idea of what’s to come. Already fully funded by a Kickstarter campaign, the twisted game will soon be available for stream play."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭Doge

Was shocked reading the article but then when watching the video.....

JTiGbrY.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭Doge

This is actually one of the most fun things I've ever played! :p

Probably a fast burner but fun none the less.

I especially liked when the "daddy" knelt down and the character animation was just so horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I will never understand why watching people stream bad games is massively popular.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I will never understand why watching people stream bad games is massively popular.

Going a step further, I will never understand why watching people stream games is massively popular.

• Advertisement

Going a step further, I will never understand why watching people stream games is massively popular.

I don't either but what it is a sign of is that I'm getting old :(

South Park episode of PewDiePie explains it ;)

It's no different than watching TV shows, listening to podcasts, watching movies. You watch them because you like the people and you get engaged with them. I watch the Achievement Hunter/Rooster Teeth people because they have incredible chemistry, are pretty incredible gamers sometimes, and also have some unbelievably hilarious moments. You don't watch them for the games themselves, otherwise I'd just watch the no commentary videos.

I would laugh more during those 20 - 30 minute videos than I would during most TV shows, most movies.

Those are examples of videos where I laughed the hardest during videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

It's more for the player's reaction than the game. They build up a personality and some people enjoy it. I personally have no interest.

Again, same thing. They watch for the conversation and entertainment of the player if it suits their fancy. Rarely about the game entirely... they'll watch their favorite personality no matter what they play.

Some streams are half and half, though. Fighting Games for example have a decent amount of conversation in the stream chats about the game its self. People may watch to learn about the character or strategies the streamer is utilising, to comment, praise or criticise certain things about it and then get feedback from said streamer or the rest of the regular viewers like "He uses X strategy because it actually works more if they wait for X reaction" or something like that. Can be quite educational if you're trying to get into the game.

I honestly don't have the time to watch other people play often. I'll tune in for a few minutes to see how many some acquaintances of mine are doing with their streaming but I'd rather just play and stream games myself.

Also a lot of the more successful streamers are among the best gamers out there, so people watch them to see how good they can be. It's no different to watching other sports, really.

Plus watching Let's Plays is no different to watching shows like the Gogglebox. Look at it this way; you're literally sitting in front of a TV, watching people sat in front of a TV, watching shows that you would have already seen yourself during the week. That is an absolutely ludicrous idea, when you boil it down, but it's good because you like the people, you like their chemistry, and you get engaged with them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's no different than watching TV shows, listening to podcasts, watching movies. You watch them because you like the people and you get engaged with them.

I'd disagree with that somewhat, although I get your general point about appreciating the personalities. To me watching a stream is not like those other things, because you're not engaging with the game on its own terms like you are when you watch a film or TV. If I want to experience a game I'll play it - not playing it creates a level of disconnect, even in games with ostensibly 'minimalist' gameplay. Watching a film is consuming it the way it was supposed to be consumed, watching a game isn't... although one could argue some of the 'YouTube fodder' might be an exception! (Disclaimer: I also 'do not get' Gogglebox)

I do admit this is partially that I just don't get the appeal of streaming, and don't begrudge anyone for watching streams or anything like that. A large part of it is I simply do not enjoy the 'prototypical' video game streaming personality - loud, obnoxious and frivolous, and I don't think for a second the personalities themselves or fans would disagree with that description :pac: I am sure there are many, many exceptions and a few I'd appreciate more if I took the effort - I know there's an Irish guy who does impressively critical, analytical videos on games, but his name escapes me - but yeah there's a lot of 'it's not you, it's me' too.

I do understand the appeal in videos of more competitive games, though, like fighting games - I think there's much more knowledge and drama to be gained there, even if they're not the sort of titles I spend much time with. But watching 'let's plays' that are often the length of a feature film, lengthy TV episode or longer... it loses me.

• Advertisement

But watching 'let's plays' that are often the length of a feature film, lengthy TV episode or longer... it loses me.

But sure there's games out there that you're better off watching on youtube or a lets play these days than spending 59.99 quid on barely interactive movie that's about 10 times worse than even a meh-tier actual movie.

I work on the basis that if I have no interest in playing a game, or if it isn't any good, then it sure as hell isn't worth watching :pac:

Personally, I feel the exact same way. But I know a lot of people from comments online and in face to face conversation that they think the game isn't worth buying but they think it's worth a watch on youtube... sometimes so they can just talk about it with people who have played the game.

I avoid games that you can get the meat of the sandwich from just watching. I guess it's a very modern kind of issue with games. The whole cinematic thing. But some people make a living off streaming those kinds of games. I wonder how much money streaming and cut-scene compilation vids on YT have cost these kinds of games in profit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

I work on the basis that if I have no interest in playing a game, or if it isn't any good, then it sure as hell isn't worth watching :pac:

With just a few minutes of thought on this, I think I'd probably agree.

But then I recall a moment from final year in college. It was winter exams, I had finished up in the morning, but about twenty people were studying in my house for an afternoon test.

So, naturally I sit on my arse to play Uncharted 2 while they work their asses off. I was sucked in for a few hours, and later I was slightly aware of a few people entering the room to sit down. After a bit, I look around and they were all back from their exam, looking at me playing.

"Sorry, I'll stop and we can head out to the pub-"

"NO! Keep playing!"

Personally, I don't get it. I need to be playing. I'd wrestle the controller off someone quicker than sit down to watch them play.

I don't necessarily agree. Referring back to Achievement Hunter/Rooster Teeth, I often watch their Let's Plays of games I never have intention of buying or ever playing, because I enjoy being in their company, as it were. Or then you look at Birgirpall, who run entire series on playing purposefully broken or unplayable games, because some of them are unbelievably funny to watch. Not enough to spend full price on, of course, but funny enough to watch someone else experiencing them.

Advertisement