Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell laptop not detecting headphones

Options
  • 18-12-2015 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭

I recently got a new Dell Latitude E5550 at work but for some reason it won't detect my audio technica ath-m50 headphones. It detects bog standard headphones when I plug them in with no issues. The audio technica's work on my HP laptop and my desktop but they don't have jack sensing software so I suspect the issue is something to do with this. Anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

xxyyzz wrote: »
    I recently got a new Dell Latitude E5550 at work but for some reason it won't detect my audio technica ath-m50 headphones. It detects bog standard headphones when I plug them in with no issues. The audio technica's work on my HP laptop and my desktop but they don't have jack sensing software so I suspect the issue is something to do with this. Anyone got any ideas?

Is that a combo headphone/mic jack or a dedicated one?

It's possible that the jack isn't delivering enough juice to power the phones either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

mordeith wrote: »
    Is that a combo headphone/mic jack or a dedicated one?

It's possible that the jack isn't delivering enough juice to power the phones either.

Yeah, it's a combo.

Yeah, it's a combo.

You might want to check that's the detection is not set to default to mic

You might want to check that's the detection is not set to default to mic

Thanks, it does work ok with bog-standard headphones though. I might try one of those USB to 3.5mm adapters and see does that solve the issue.

Thanks, it does work ok with bog-standard headphones though. I might try one of those USB to 3.5mm adapters and see does that solve the issue.

Do you know what impedance rating those particular headphones are. It is possible that there isn't enough power going to the speaker driver

• Advertisement

Do you know what impedance rating those particular headphones are. It is possible that there isn't enough power going to the speaker driver

38 Ω, according to the google machine.

38 Ω, according to the google machine.

Anything below 50 ohms should be okay but you never know. I don't suppose you have a usb soundcard hanging around to test it

Anything below 50 ohms should be okay but you never know. I don't suppose you have a usb soundcard hanging around to test it

No, I think I might pick up a soundblaster play during Christmas and give that a try. Thanks for the help.

Advertisement