Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crèche staff behavior

Options
  • 18-12-2015 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

Since late November, we are sending our 21 mo son to a local crèche. However we are not happy for several things, and since we are new here, we would like to ask, if it's normal, or we need to seek elsewhere.

At the beginning, we had some issues with the food. Our son is intolerant in some foods, so we let them know. Instead of providing some advice, or a solution, they were like "so, what should we do?". When we proposed to bring our own food, they were no happy, cause the other kids might be jealous... The other kids are eating lots of junk, so most probably our son would be the one feeling jealous...

After we settled that, they sent him home 3 times cause he had a fever. 2 out of 3, we measured his temp once we got home and he was fine. We measured again after a few hours, fine. We are using an expensive thermometer, they are using some sticky tapes... So, most probably, their measurement is wrong.

Yesterday, he was not in the mood to go, so he didn't want to eat, and he was grumbling all day. When we picked him up in the afternoon, they said to us that they wanted to call us to pick him up earlier.

My wife works from home as a tech support, so she cannot have the baby around and talk with the clients over the phone. We have no relatives in the city, so no other option for us. We want him to go there, for socialization and to learn the language. However, I find it silly to pay that amount of money, if they sending him home 3 times a week.

What would you do? :confused:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

Wizard! wrote: »
    What would you do? :confused:

I'd find another creche!

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Wizard!

I'd find another creche!

The obvious answer.
    First of all, it is not that easy. There are only 3 in a reasonable distance, and all are full. However, the thing is, is this behavior normal? This is my point, cause there is no need to move to another, if everybody acts the same.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I think I would be looking for another creche too.

Have you spoken to the creche manager?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

Wizard! wrote: »
    The obvious answer.
    First of all, it is not that easy. There are only 3 in a reasonable distance, and all are full. However, the thing is, is this behavior normal? This is my point, cause there is no need to move to another, if everybody acts the same.

The behaviour doesn't sound normal to me. You could put your grievances in writing and hopefully you'd get a response in writing, which will hopefully provide clarity for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭greengirl31

I think with a creche there are some things you have to let slide. For example, i was very fussy about my daughters diet initially, would have liked them to make everything from scratch, no sweets etc. etc. They get fish fingers and chips one day a week and a few treats here and there. In the grand scheme of things, i'm willing to let that slide.

However, what you describe is not normal IMO. If your son had dietary requirements (which i presume you told them about before you took the place) they should have told you at that stage that they couldn't accommodate you. I know there are a number of kids in my daughters creche that have specific food allergies and they're listed on the wall. Its not unusual to have a "no nuts" policy in a lot of schools and creches because of the severity of allergies. With the fevers/temps, again, it's not unusual when a child starts in a new creche that they pick up all sorts of infections until their immune systems build up resistance. Most creches are happy to administer calpol for a high temperature or cough bottle. They'll usually send a child home if they're vomiting (which is fair enough) and they won't take them for the first 24 hours of them being on an antibiotic. I'd ask the management what the policies around this.

Ultimately, you need to be able to rely on whatever type of childcare you have in place and if the creche you're using is calling you every 5 minutes to come and collect your son, unfortunately you may have to look for an alternative. This may be an issue with the staff in your son's room knowing your wife is at home and chancing their arm by calling her when your son is even a little out of sorts. However, i'd have a chat with the managers first. It might be something they can tackle with the staff in your son's room or they should be able to clarify their policies on the dietary requirements and sickness.

Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,042 ✭✭✭✭neris

It would be normal procedures for a creche to ask parents to take children home if they are unwell or sick. They have to look after the health and well being of other children & your child. If your child has somthing that can be passed on they should be sent home however if the child has a slight temperature or a bit of a sniffle a bit of calpol or medicine in the creche should be given 1st, although the creche may ring you just to confirm that its ok to give the child somthing.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

neris wrote: »
    It would be normal procedures for a creche to ask parents to take children home if they are unwell or sick. They have to look after the health and well being of other children & your child. If your child has somthing that can be passed on they should be sent home however if the child has a slight temperature or a bit of a sniffle a bit of calpol or medicine in the creche should be given 1st, although the creche may ring you just to confirm that its ok to give the child somthing.

I fully agree. From reading the post, it does seem a bit extreme to be contacted again and again. I honestly don't know but I wonder, if the creche staff members are erring on the side of caution? I don't know exactly what conversations have taken place between you and the creche in the past but are they concerned that if they don't contact you that they will be in trouble?

Another poster mentioned that at first, when her daughter was in a creche, she had many requests re diet, sweets etc but later decided to let some of them slide. With our first child, we can often be idealistic and perhaps strive for perfection. We have all done that. After a few years, perhaps after having other children, we usually adjust a little and make more allowances.

The real test is to see if the creche staff contact all other parents on such a regular basis or is it just you? (As you have said, however, the fact that your wife works from home, could also possibly be a factor). One option is to sit down with the current creche manager for a chat, to see the best way forward. Go into such a meeting with a positive approach, assuming things will go well. At least then, you should have a better idea. If you're still not happy, then perhaps a fresh start, when that's possible, might be worth considering. I hope this is of help. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

The key question here is..... Is your child happy in the crèche? He is what matters... Yeah?

If your child has food intolerances then the crèche are going to feel nervous about that and I think it reasonable for to ask them what to give him as opposed to drawing up a menu themselves. Then they can't go wrong as they have asked you what to give them and the onus is on you to get it right. They're just nervous of getting it wrong.

I think if your child is happy in crèche then you need to think about that.

Advertisement