Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gowan Park Golf Club

Options
  • 18-12-2015 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm just wondering if anyone here has played in the above club and can advise as to what it is like. I hadn't considered moving clubs as I like where I am (mount wolseley) but the price difference is massive and I'm wondering are they any way comparable. Mount wolseley is almost 1100 for the coming year while gowran is 350 for under 30's. Any advise welcome

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Gowran is a smashing golf course in a really nice setting. It's one of my favourites. I play in a few opens there every year. If I was living close to it I'd join in an instant.
    Only thing I noticed is it doesn't take much for it to play very soft. I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of restricted play during the wet winter months. But I'm assuming, I don't play there in the winter and don't really know how it's holding up.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭yettie1701

Hi Guys,

I'm just wondering if anyone here has played in the above club and can advise as to what it is like. I hadn't considered moving clubs as I like where I am (mount wolseley) but the price difference is massive and I'm wondering are they any way comparable. Mount wolseley is almost 1100 for the coming year while gowran is 350 for under 30's. Any advise welcome
    Top course really good test of golf. Very friendly club too with very little politics that you get in other clubs. Lots of drainage done in the last few years that has been a big success. Doesn't get the recognition it deserves imo. Great deals for membership now. Never much trouble getting out either only busy on a Sunday morning between 9.00 and 12.00.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Have played both and really enjoy both. I don't want to take anything from Gowran and if it was closer I'd be considering joining but there's no way you can compare the two, MW is miles ahead. Its actually one of my favourite courses in the country.
    Going back to Gowran, I really enjoyed my round there when we played it last year and am looking forward to going back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Have played both and really enjoy both. I don't want to take anything from Gowran and if it was closer I'd be considering joining but there's no way you can compare the two, MW is miles ahead. Its actually one of my favourite courses in the country.
    Going back to Gowran, I really enjoyed my round there when we played it last year and am looking forward to going back again.

That was my thinking, MW is a gorgeous course but I don't think I get out often enough anymore to justify the cost of the membership

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

That was my thinking, MW is a gorgeous course but I don't think I get out often enough anymore to justify the cost of the membership

true, have to think of the pocket and the amount of use as well.

• Advertisement

charlieIRL wrote: »
    true, have to think of the pocket and the amount of use as well.

Yea that's it. I'm still undecided though. MW will allow me to use an all for one voucher that I have (€500) towards membership and Gowran won't. Meaning the difference in terms of cash out of my pocket isn't massive. Although I'm sure I could use the voucher else where

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

I think Gowran is a much better course than MW. First couple of holes are typical "racetrack" fare then the course really tightens up. Good test of golf

I think Gowran is a much better course than MW. First couple of holes are typical "racetrack" fare then the course really tightens up. Good test of golf

I've never played it but am going to have a walk around tomorrow. I've had a look online and the reviews are excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

I've never played it but am going to have a walk around tomorrow. I've had a look online and the reviews are excellent

I'm trying to figure out where you live because they are quite a distance apart for both to be options.

You could be close to Carlow which makes it an option or bunclody which is also a great course.

I think you have to factor in proximity to where you live and whether or not you know members and can integrate easily.

searay wrote: »
    I'm trying to figure out where you live because they are quite a distance apart for both to be options.

You could be close to Carlow which makes it an option or bunclody which is also a great course.

I think you have to factor in proximity to where you live and whether or not you know members and can integrate easily.

I'm in carlow town so both courses take roughly the same time to get to (Gowran is about 5 minutes further but it's motorway most of the way). Carlow golf club is my closest course but the cost is similar to Mount Wolseley, I would never consider leaving MW if the difference in cost wasn't so large. I can get 3 years membership in Gowran for the price of 1 year in MW.

Having said all of this I do not know if I want to change clubs

• Advertisement

I'm in carlow town so both courses take roughly the same time to get to (Gowran is about 5 minutes further but it's motorway most of the way). Carlow golf club is my closest course but the cost is similar to Mount Wolseley, I would never consider leaving MW if the difference in cost wasn't so large. I can get 3 years membership in Gowran for the price of 1 year in MW.

Having said all of this I do not know if I want to change clubs

You should take a long term view and join Carlow.

It's a members club and you'll get to find players you're comfortable playing with
    Very good tough course, a good winter course and well maintained.
    Closer to you than the others by 20/30 minutes so sneaking out for 9 holes is easier
    The discounted fees won't last forever.

I'm from Carlow but haven't lived there for years so I'm not recruiting for them. I think the others are very good courses but the above would swing it for me.

It's a members club and you'll get to find players you're comfortable playing with
    Closer to you than the others by 20/30 minutes so sneaking out for 9 holes is easier

I'm from Carlow but haven't lived there for years so I'm not recruiting for them. I think the others are very good courses but the above would swing it for me.

I know a lot of members in carlow but the big problem I have with it is the sheer number of members. Tee times need to be booked online and there is a scramble for times by all accounts. This Thursday you book your time for next weekend etc. the thing I like about my current club is that I can call on Friday and play Saturday morning. I know the volume of members in carlow is surely a testament to the quality of the club so it's a bit of a catch 22

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

yettie1701 wrote: »
    Top course really good test of golf. Very friendly club too with very little politics that you get in other clubs. Lots of drainage done in the last few years that has been a big success. Doesn't get the recognition it deserves imo. Great deals for membership now. Never much trouble getting out either only busy on a Sunday morning between 9.00 and 12.00.

I didn't know that, must try a winter game there. Great to hear!

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

The 4th in Gowran is one of the nicest golf holes in the country, almost Augusta like.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Killerig is not too far away, think the members took it over recently not a bad track and of course Athy great old Club doing decent deals as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Killerig is not too far away, think the members took it over recently not a bad track and of course Athy great old Club doing decent deals as well.

A few years since I played Killerig. A pleasant enough course, although it was in poor enough condition at the time. Delighted to hear the members have taken it over - hope they can make a go of it. There isn't a big cachement area and stiff competition within 20/30 minutes.

I'm starting to think you may be right. I went to Gowran yesterday and was a little ut off by a couple of things. Seemed like a nice course but I saw a notice in the club that said golfers must be off the course at least 2 hours before racing commences on race days. There are 10 weekend race meetings during the year. Also the pro shop wasn't open. On a Saturday at lunch time you'd expect it to be open. Think I might join Carlow and be done with it. It's 2 minutes down the road and a nice course

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ally McIntosh

I'm starting to think you may be right. I went to Gowran yesterday and was a little ut off by a couple of things. Seemed like a nice course but I saw a notice in the club that said golfers must be off the course at least 2 hours before racing commences on race days. There are 10 weekend race meetings during the year. Also the pro shop wasn't open. On a Saturday at lunch time you'd expect it to be open. Think I might join Carlow and be done with it. It's 2 minutes down the road and a nice course

If I lived two minutes down the road from Carlow GC, I wouldn't have to think twice.

In fact, I like the course so much, I'd almost move to Carlow just so that I could live two minutes down the road.

Good decision, I'd be happy to have either of the courses you mentioned as my home course but if you're that close you'll get far more opportunities to play even if its only 4 or 9 holes in the evening after work.

Once you get to know people you'll get slots on the timesheet on a Sunday even at short notice.

Good decision, I'd be happy to have either of the courses you mentioned as my home course but if you're that close you'll get far more opportunities to play even if its only 4 or 9 holes in the evening after work.

Once you get to know people you'll get slots on the timesheet on a Sunday even at short notice.

I've just filled up the membership application now. So look forward to playing it now. Going to get out for a game over Christmas hopefully. The proximity was the main swinging factor, I'll try get out a few evenings a week in the summer for a few holes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭benny79

Maybe a bit late but did you consider Baltinglass or Rathsalad both great courses and cheap enough membership... Played Killerig last summer and the course was in bits rabbits have dug big holes in the greens & some had the moss on them, couldn't believe she actually let us out on the course in the state it was! but suppose only charged us a €5 for 9 holes. Glad the members took over cause it was once a really nice track. Sadly though I'd say it be a year or 2 before its right again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

benny79 wrote:
    Maybe a bit late but did you consider Baltinglass or Rathsalad both great courses and cheap enough membership... Played Killerig last summer and the course was in bits rabbits have dug big holes in the greens & some had the moss on them, couldn't believe she actually let us out on the course in the state it was! but suppose only charged us a €5 for 9 holes. Glad the members took over cause it was once a really nice track. Sadly though I'd say it be a year or 2 before its right again.

Isn't Rathsallagh closed? I think there are plans afoot to re-open it but last pictures I saw were of hay bales in the fairways.

I like Baltinglass. Some people complain about the climb up the first but after that its a lovely walk in the Wicklow woods.

benny79 wrote: »

I played baltinglass for a year when I was in secondary school. Lovely course but the drainage on the new 9 leaves a lot to be desired in this weather. Rathsallagh is a bit of a trek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭benny79

As far as I know Rathsallagh is back open, but don't quote me. I personally love Baltinglass taught about joining a few times just a bit far... And I think the first is a good hole although a bit of a challenge :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Great golf course...I am in no way biased by the fact that I won the Boards outing there last year :D

In all honesty, I did think it was a very enjoyable course, especially when you get away from the racecourse.

Good mix of long & short par 4s if I remember correctly, so some great risk-reward drives.

I'd say just get down for a round. I'd imagine if you told them you were interested in joining they'll look after you

Advertisement